Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Desura Game Distribution Platform

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    The main thing about the games on Desura is that most of them are installed in your /path/to/desura/common directory, which is somewhere in your /home folder. Games on Synaptic or the Software Center are installed in your (possibly) /usr/share/games folder, which is why most all games on Desura don't need a password to be installed.
    I really hate it when games install in "/usr/share/games" and ask for password. My root partition isn't too big and games usually require quite a bit of space.
    AncientBeast.com - My free open source turn based strategy game project! Master your beasts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

I've got mine installed on a separate partition. Can't remember exactly what I did but I think I just installed desura from the new partition in the first place something like /medi/D/games. You have to make sure that the drive is mounted when it is booting up by editing the fstab but you can get gui's to help with that.

Beans

We've got some new games:

Tropical Stormfront - A brightly coloured WWII RTS game taking place around tropical islands.

On The Shoulders Of Ancestors - A kinda a weird platformer with a unique concept.

Sushi Quest - Top down 3d platformer where you control these cats across this island.

Beans

Few more:

Free 3d racing game released Speed Dreams.

Rijn the Specpyre in... Manor of the Damned! where you're a vampire that has to defeat all these monsters in a 2D top down game with retro styled graphics.

Beans

New game The Great Jitters: Pudding Panic. It's about this jelly creature who's caught on a demented ghost train ride, and you have to rearrange the tracks and set things up so he escapes without getting scared too much.
    Seems cool.

Beans

Alright! Desura supports Mac games now!

While this doesn't directly affect Linux gamers (unless they have a Mac), I think it's great that a game distribution platform supports many platforms and doesn't feel you should be restricted unnecessarily. This should also help the Desura platform to be taken more seriously (I know the Red Eclipse guys were holding back until it supported Mac too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

3079 is pretty fantastic. i've been playing it for the past 4 hours or so and haven't gotten tired of it. many people have labelled it as a sort of mix between minecraft (written in java and using a block-based, randomly generated environment broken up into biomes, and including items used to create custom buildings) and fallout (war-torn landscape with the remains of destroyed buildings, skills and levelling, tons of items/weapons, fighting, trading, quests, etcetera).

for the moment, it's still in beta and at a discounted price, but the full release and full price will be here soon, so go check it out!

Beans

Has any one tried to run 32bit games on a 64bit system? I get an error when launching CreepTD advising me to install the 32bit libraries but it does not tell me which library to install.

Any advice would be good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by redredrooster View Post
    Has any one tried to run 32bit games on a 64bit system? I get an error when launching CreepTD advising me to install the 32bit libraries but it does not tell me which library to install.

Any advice would be good.
    Run the ldd command on CreepTD binary file. It will tell you what you're missing.

Beans

By the way, Desura has recently become pretty popular for Visual Novel games. Since they tend to be written in Ren'Py, they've all got Linux versions. So if you're interested, check them out. Most have demos.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast