Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus + Rootkit hunter

Beans

Antivirus + Rootkit hunter

Are there any good free antivirus for linux that come with a rootkit hunter or am I asking for too much out of one application?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Antivirus + Rootkit hunter

Rkhunter is notorious for false positives and you don't really need anti virus on a *nix box unless you are sharing files with windows machines.

Check out the page here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Foobarz View Post
    Are there any good free antivirus for linux that come with a rootkit hunter or am I asking for too much out of one application?
    AV programs are really NOT needed for any Linux unless you are using it for a server and have Windows machines hung onto the network. Then it is just to protect the Windows machine(s).
    You can not install a virus or malware into Linux with just a single click .. it takes steps and it also takes a password.
    HOWEVER .. your BROWSER of choice can get popped now and again if you are not careful.

Beans

I know that viruses are quite ludicrous since everything needs root permission and everything can be displayed and not hidden. However, What about rootkits? Don't those go around undetected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Foobarz View Post
    I know that viruses are quite ludicrous since everything needs root permission and everything can be displayed and not hidden. However, What about rootkits? Don't those go around undetected?
    Rootkits don't spread themselves - they require human input to put them into your computer, and there must be some avenue into your computer.

In other words, you need to be running some sort of server service on your computer, that has a security flaw that allows a human attacker to run code on your computer. The code must run as root or the attacker must find another security flaw to gain root access. If you are running a vulnerable server service, it also can't be behind a firewall as then the attacker won't be able to connect to it.

The liklihood of all this happening on your home desktop is pretty slim. If you're running a web server that takes credit card details then you need to worry about rootkits. Otherwise it's probably not going to happen.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Rootkits don't spread themselves - they require human input to put them into your computer, and there must be some avenue into your computer.

In other words, you need to be running some sort of server service on your computer, that has a security flaw that allows a human attacker to run code on your computer. The code must run as root or the attacker must find another security flaw to gain root access. If you are running a vulnerable server service, it also can't be behind a firewall as then the attacker won't be able to connect to it.

The liklihood of all this happening on your home desktop is pretty slim. If you're running a web server that takes credit card details then you need to worry about rootkits. Otherwise it's probably not going to happen.
    OR if you type your root authorization in when youn didnt do anything that really needs root authorization. OR you downloaded some software from a site that is NOT very trustworthy and the installer INCLUDES some form of UNWANTED software incorporated within the software you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Rkhunter is notorious for false positives and you don't really need anti virus on a *nix box unless you are sharing files with windows machines.

Check out the page here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

I should have posted my reply to here instead of 3rdalbum BUT it does fit there as well .. Just because it is NOT prevalent doesnt mean they dont exist. The sooner Linux learns to Cover It's Butt the safer it will be when it advances in the market share of Operating systems.

If you go by a generic example .. 6billion windows and Mac users .. 10% infection .. LOTS of people actively trying to clean them ... 600k Linux users 10% infection WORSE - THEY assume they dont got anything.

Just because its Linux doesnt mean it cant happen. It just means it's LESS likely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom3009 View Post
    OR if you type your root authorization in when youn didnt do anything that really needs root authorization. OR you downloaded some software from a site that is NOT very trustworthy and the installer INCLUDES some form of UNWANTED software incorporated within the software you want.
    Stick to the repos. If you need to install something that isn't in the repos, be sure to check it out before installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom3009 View Post
    I should have posted my reply to here instead of 3rdalbum BUT it does fit there as well .. Just because it is NOT prevalent doesnt mean they dont exist. The sooner Linux learns to Cover It's Butt the safer it will be when it advances in the market share of Operating systems.

If you go by a generic example .. 6billion windows and Mac users .. 10% infection .. LOTS of people actively trying to clean them ... 600k Linux users 10% infection WORSE - THEY assume they dont got anything.

Just because its Linux doesnt mean it cant happen. It just means it's LESS likely.
    Right. There are *nix "viruses" out there (proof of concept mostly), but none in the wild. Apparmor/SElinux on Firefox and any other internet aware app would limit the damage if you got something. Keyloggers don't get installed automagically.

EDIT: Check the link I posted, or the monster thread here.
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 16th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Little known (read acknowledged) fact : rootkits are more devestating on Linux than Windows. (Incoming hatemail I'm sure).

Due to the nature of how the Linux kernel and operating system work, a rootkit is much more difficult to detect, even for complex anti-malware solutions on Linux than Windows. The silver lining? Rootkits are a much more targeted attack on Linux than Windows.

Weigh your risks, make your decisions and security policies accordingly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Asked and answered to many times to count. Moved to recurring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast