Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    71
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Question Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Hello,

    I'm trying to enable/use 3D acceleration in a Ubuntu guest running in VirtualBox with Guest Additions on a Windows host. Although I think the 3D acceleration is being enabled, the performance of my guest takes a nosedive; the machine almost comes to a crawl.

    Is this a known issue? Is there a known fix/workaround?
    How can I verify the status of 3D acceleration in my Ubuntu guest? What commands to run? What log files can I look at?

    My setup ...

    ATI Radeon 6770M graphics card (2GB)
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    VBox 4.1.6 (with Guest Additions)
    Ubuntu 11.10 (32-bit) (The problem exists on 64-bit Ubuntu as well.)

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    not in Slovenia anymore
    Beans
    1,137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Did you enable 3D acceleration and have the VB Add-ons for the guest OS installed? (install via Devices>Install Guest Additions [HOST+D], while the machine is running)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    71
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Quote Originally Posted by An Sanct View Post
    Did you enable 3D acceleration and have the VB Add-ons for the guest OS installed? (install via Devices>Install Guest Additions [HOST+D], while the machine is running)
    Yes. I enabled 3D Acceleration support in VBox and have the Guest Additions installed as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    not in Slovenia anymore
    Beans
    1,137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Did you provide enough GPU memory?

    Anyhow, Virtualization is not intended for gaming and other heavy 3D actions, and a VM, to my knowledge, is powered with a simulated GPU, it is a "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter".

    People in the gaming forums are also complaining about this, there was this guy, who said it could be mended with a hack of the '.vbox' configuration file, every machine has one.

    note: The VB has to be shut down and the manager also may not run!
    Code:
    Change from:
    <Display VRAMSize="128" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>
    
    To:
    <Display VRAMSize="256" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>
    If you decide to try this hack, make sure to do a backup of at least the configuration file, if not the whole machine!

    The VB manager is just a GUI front-end...

    PS. ... Let me stress this again: Virtualization is not meant for gaming ...
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Beans
    177
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    In http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881101, Copper Bezel said: "Virtualbox doesn't support hardware-accelerated video for Linux guests. You're stuck using Unity 2D and Gnome Fallback that way."

    My attempt at running Oneiric in Virtualbox a complete waste of 7 hours.
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    not in Slovenia anymore
    Beans
    1,137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    2D is not supported by non-Windows guests, but 3D is... VB warns you about this if you want to set 2D to checked on a non-Windows guest system.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    71
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Quote Originally Posted by An Sanct View Post
    Did you provide enough GPU memory?

    Anyhow, Virtualization is not intended for gaming and other heavy 3D actions, and a VM, to my knowledge, is powered with a simulated GPU, it is a "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter".

    People in the gaming forums are also complaining about this, there was this guy, who said it could be mended with a hack of the '.vbox' configuration file, every machine has one.

    note: The VB has to be shut down and the manager also may not run!
    Code:
    Change from:
    <Display VRAMSize="128" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>
    
    To:
    <Display VRAMSize="256" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>
    If you decide to try this hack, make sure to do a backup of at least the configuration file, if not the whole machine!

    The VB manager is just a GUI front-end...

    PS. ... Let me stress this again: Virtualization is not meant for gaming ...
    Thanks for the tip. I was previously using 128MB video RAM. Increasing video RAM to 256MB improves the performance marginally, but no cigar. VBox does not allow you to increase it beyond that, irrespective of how much graphics memory you have on the host.

    BTW, I'm trying to use 3D acceleration for Google Earth. But even with 256MB RAM, the overall performance (for ordinary operations like browsing and moving windows) is slower than normal. I was barely able to start firefox and could only goto the home page. Even clicking on links does not seem to work. System manager shows fairly low CPU utilization.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet
    VirtualBox 4.3.30 Guest: 2GB RAM + 2 CPUs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,770

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Quote Originally Posted by Randymanme View Post
    In http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881101, Copper Bezel said: "Virtualbox doesn't support hardware-accelerated video for Linux guests. You're stuck using Unity 2D and Gnome Fallback that way."

    My attempt at running Oneiric in Virtualbox a complete waste of 7 hours.
    Rubbish.

    I run 11.10 in virtual box with 3d enabled running Unity 3D
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    not in Slovenia anymore
    Beans
    1,137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Me2 I have Unity 3D and all the other glitter under VB.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    71
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Extremely slow 3D in Ubuntu guest on VBox

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Rubbish.

    I run 11.10 in virtual box with 3d enabled running Unity 3D
    True. If VirtualBox didn't support 3D acceleration for Linux guest, it would warn just like it does for 2D acceleration.

    It's just that in my case, by enabling 3D acceleration, I'm getting Total Deceleration.

    Can you please post your host details? i.e. what (graphics) hardware and OS you are running on the host machine?
    Last edited by orrorin; November 16th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet
    VirtualBox 4.3.30 Guest: 2GB RAM + 2 CPUs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •