Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would like to compare two different computers?

Beans

I would like to compare two different computers?

One computer is ASUS - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Brown Suit Model: K53E- BBR9...........and the other is HP PAVILION LAPTOP /AMD PHENOM II X 4 (QUAD) model g7-1167 dx / 17.3" Display / 4GB Memory notebook pc. I have both of them the Pavillion has a bigger screen obviously with more resolution but besides that I seem to favor the asus i5 a bit more and asus seems to have better reputation than HP. Ofcourse I know one is Quad and the other one the i5 I think is dual or I do not even know. Will someone let me know which one they would keep and which one to get rid of or sell?

Beans

Re: I would like to compare two different computers?

For gaming i think that the best one if the first you said,but the other one also rocks i totally like hp pavillion they are good computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well if you provide the graphics card (or chipset rather, since it's laptops); that might help a bit. But the i5 is generally better than the Phenom IIs.

Intel usually provides more for each core than AMD, so the number of cores shouldn't be a big factor in deciding the best CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can imagine using a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen and a phenom quad core chip. What is the battery life going to be? One hour at the most?

Beans

I'd say it depends on what you want to do with the pcs. Gaming I'd sti
    ck with the AMD, mobility the I5. Desktop replacement AMD ...

I'm also guessing but I think you'd probably get more for the I5 (if you want the money...).

It all depends on what you are going to be using it for.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

darn decisions anyway!!

personally,
    never used to like hp at all, but have acquired a couple of their laptops recently and they rock. of course i've wiped them clean and did fresh installs of windows 7 ultimate and xubuntu 11.10

i think i'd have to keep that hp, if i was you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Beans

Get rid of HP-PAV soon as you can (compared to any laptop). Pav are total mess. google the recalled laptops. Pav is at top. And I am writing this based on personal exp. I have had two HP pav crash on me (M-boards). And I know three more ppl who had same issue. Asus are built much better than pav. HP makes good laptops as well but they are buz class and expensive. ex.Elitebooks.
    I wouldn't touch any other HP laptop with 10 foot pole.
    I have been using Asus as a replacement to the crashed pav and very happy with it.
    Specs are not that much to consider in this your case.

Cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

In terms of ubuntu I'd say they're fairly equal - as other's have said I'd only really focus on their performance if gaming is an issue - for normal, medium usage both are well above minimal requirements and don't foresee either of them running into performance issues for a while.

so long as both are in good shape it would be prudent to point out that the brand names Asus and I5 are going to bump the price north far more than HP or AMD, just the way it is. Whether you want to cash in on that now, or keep the one that will hold value longer is up to you, but it's definitely worth baring in mind.

I'd say the best test would be to pick your favourite (deep down you must have one)and use only that for a week, then next week use the other - that should give you a good idea - after all when it comes to daily usage laptops things like keyboard layout, effectiveness of track pad and available connectors have a far bigger impact than it's specs, especially on these 2 - both are way above any of the laptops in our flat!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would go with the Intel machine. I have a Dell Latitude with an i5 quad core, and I can run Kubuntu 11.10 and a VM with ease. Plus intel chipsets are very linux friendly.
    Last edited by wolfen69; November 15th, 2011 at 05:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast