Thread: Trouble with new install of Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Trouble with new install of Ubuntu Studio

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I have been trying to get it to work for the last day and a half. Surprisingly, my wireless adapter worked perfectly on the first boot. However, I can't seem to get any sound out of my machine.

I checked the checked the checksum of the iso before burning and checked the media after burning. Both were fine. The last time I used Ubuntu was 10.04 and my sound worked fine back then, so I assumed that it should work fine with a newer version.

Should I just install regular Ubuntu 11.10, get the sound working, and then install the studio applications manually, or should I keep jacking around with this install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Trouble with new install of Ubuntu Studio

I suppose that cabels are connected fine.
    give us output from
    Code:
    aplay -l
    And alsao say if it is laptop, desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry for the delay. I had to go to work.

The cables are fine. When I boot into Windows, the sound works. Before installing Ubuntu Studio, I had Fedora 14 on the same partition and it worked there as well.

Here is the output for aplay -l.

Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    The computer is a desktop with an integrated sound card. I tried running Audacity and recording with a mic. Usually, I would be able to see the sound wave as I play back, but it showed just a straight line, so the input and output are not working.

Before the install, I installed Ubuntu Studio on a virtual machine and had the same issue. I was hoping that a full install would give different results, but it did not.

I think I am going to download and burn a live Ubuntu CD to make sure the problem is not with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

The card is supported by alsa. Open alsamixer and see if there is something muted or turn down. Also check sound preferences for same things.