Thread: Can Wine run programs created in C#?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Can Wine run programs created in C#?

I downloaded a digital art program called Palinka. Palinka is written in C# and developed on and for Microsoft Windows XP. I've added the application/exe file to the list programs in Wine Config and made that exe default to a compatibility with WinXp. Right clicking on the EXE file produces a wait state cursor and then nothing else happens. I've set the properties of the file to be executable as well. What else would I need to do to install and run this program in Wine? Here is the website link to the program.

http://www.kelbv.com/palinka.php
    Last edited by PayPaul; November 13th, 2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can Wine run programs created in C#?

For C#, do take a look at mono.

I know mono and Wine can also work together, but mono allone will be enough for a pure C# program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PayPaul View Post
    I downloaded a digital art program called Palinka. Palinka is written in C# and developed on and for Microsoft Windows XP. I've added the application/exe file to the list programs in Wine Config and made that exe default to a compatibility with WinXp. Right clicking on the EXE file produces a wait state cursor and then nothing else happens. I've set the properties of the file to be executable as well. What else would I need to do to install and run this program in Wine? Here is the website link to the program.

http://www.kelbv.com/palinka.php
    A pure C# app, not written by chimpanzees, will run with Mono (i.e. without Wine)

A badly written C# app may work with the Windows version of Mono, installed inside Wine.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: Can Wine run programs created in C#?

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    A pure C# app, not written by chimpanzees, will run with Mono (i.e. without Wine)

A badly written C# app may work with the Windows version of Mono, installed inside Wine.
    What is Mono?
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Hidden!

Mono is an open source implementation of the .net framework (VB.net and C#). So if your app uses only C#, than it will probably be enough to install mono (from the software center) and do
    Code:
    mono myprogram.exe