Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Will Linux Mint Be the End for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Will Linux Mint Be the End for Ubuntu?

Yes, soon the Mint Police are gonna bust your door to confiscate Ubuntu install discs, mugs, t-shirts and the like.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans

I don't understand why Mark Shuttleworth doesnt realize that Unity is driving away ALOT of users He should at least offer gnome ans Kde as alternative desktops......
    Maybe then he could get back to number one distro
    cheers
    Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When you see many polls showing the same trend it means that they should be taken seriously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sblacklord View Post
    I don't understand why Mark Shuttleworth doesnt realize that Unity is driving away ALOT of users He should at least offer gnome ans Kde as alternative desktops......
    cheers
    Shane
    But he didn't lost it. Distrowatch info is not valid data. Did you read my post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Witch Lady View Post
    But he didn't lost it. Distrowatch info is not valid data.
    It seems the ancient art of investigating survey methodologies has been lost.

At the risk of sounding prejudiced, the moment someone mentions Distrowatch as an indicator of anything other than page hits at a site that caters to distro hoppers I lose interest and stop reading.

Beans

Here's an interesting datum: Chitika, a firm which tracks and analyzes market share of various OSs for the purpose of market research, has noted that Linux usage increased significantly in October, which they've tied to the launch of Ubuntu 11.10.*

There are two ways for any particular Linux distribution to increase its users. It can either take users away from other distributions, or it can appeal to the market of all computer users and try to convert people from other OSes (as well as new computer users) to using Linux. It's equally clear which path Linux Mint has chosen to follow, vs. which path Ubuntu has chosen.

* Incidentally, the numbers reflected on the Chitika site need further clarification. The graphics shows that Linux gained an additional .59% of the market in the month of October. What's more interesting is comparing the percentage usage in October (shown as 3%) vs. September (shown as 2.3%). The means, if these numbers are to be taken at face value, that Linux usage increased by 30% between September and October.

Beans

cheers
    Shane
    I take it you've never heard of Kubuntu, nor do you realize you can install either Gnome Shell or Gnome fallback in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

cheers
    Shane

Yeah it maybe be pushing away users now, but that does not mean anything. It is a new product.
    Soon enough Unity will become accepted by everyone I am sure.

Beans

Nah. They're still using our code and repositories, after all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Chitika (...) has noted that Linux usage increased significantly in October, which they've tied to the launch of Ubuntu 11.10
    As much as I hate taking part in a thread with this title... Seriously?

I see no huge surprise in these numbers:
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201010-201110

1) There has been no significant change in Linux share
    2) Even if there was an increase in Linux share this last month, it's unlikely that it would be thanks to a Distribution that has been losing popularity for several months:
    http://distrowatch.com

Come on, what's everyone smoking?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast