Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,541
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFan999 View Post
    At least it is healthier than french fries. I do think, however, that we should just stop eating corn and grow it as fuel only. That way, we could use less oil.
    Corn is actually a pretty terrible feedstock for biofuels. If you wanted to give over land to energy crops, there's much better ones available.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Buenavista, ADN, Phils
    Beans
    285

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Devoting land to corn production for oil causes massive food supply problems though. The amount of arable land on earth is decreasing every year while the number of people is increasing. Growing corn for oil is obviously not going to work out in the long run...
    Only way to be productive at it is to use Solar energy to power the equipment used to harvest it. On the population issue, a good plague would cure that..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Buenavista, ADN, Phils
    Beans
    285

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Corn is actually a pretty terrible feedstock for biofuels. If you wanted to give over land to energy crops, there's much better ones available.
    Someone mentioned Kudzu one time. Its a crazy asian vine that the department of highways and roads brought over to the US in early 70's to prevent the corrosion of the sides of roads. But they didnt take into the account that our climate here makes this mess grow WAY out of control. Now you cant get rid of it, they can mow the mess down every month and every month it grows right back to full. Using a plant like that would really help fuel the BIO diesel economy.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Beans
    1,064
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Only way to be productive at it is to use Solar energy to power the equipment used to harvest it. On the population issue, a good plague would cure that..
    A food crisis is much more likely than a plague. Unless your a farmer, that means that youd likely be affected and wouldnt be loling...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,541
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    The amount of arable land on earth is decreasing every year while the number of people is increasing.
    Actually Europe and North America have ended up with a surplus of agricultural land. "Set aside" for biodiversity or energy crops have been ways of putting the land to some productive use. How we ended up in such a situation is another topic, and unfortunately somewhat political.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Canada, Montreal QC
    Beans
    1,809
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    On the population issue, a good plague would cure that..
    Let's how lol will be when you will be next on the plague's list.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Beans
    1,064
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Actually Europe and North America have ended up with a surplus of agricultural land. "Set aside" for biodiversity or energy crops have been ways of putting the land to some productive use. How we ended up in such a situation is another topic, and unfortunately somewhat political.
    This may be true, but it doesnt make up for the massive loss of agricultural lands in other areas of the world.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,541
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This may be true, but it doesnt make up for the massive loss of agricultural lands in other areas of the world.
    I don't think the big problem is a loss of agricultural land elsewhere (I assume you're talking about desertification?), it's the clearing of virgin forests for additional growing land that's a worry. Like you say, that's driven by expanding population. The problem is that using existing land more intensively to avoid this creates it's own problems.

    I don't really see that we've got much choice though. People got to eat, and we can't just chop everything down.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Beans
    76
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Actually Europe and North America have ended up with a surplus of agricultural land. "Set aside" for biodiversity or energy crops have been ways of putting the land to some productive use. How we ended up in such a situation is another topic, and unfortunately somewhat political.
    I've heard that the amount of land required to grow corn for ethanol in production quantities is massive. That you'd have to practically switch most the farms in U.S. to growing seed corn in order to come close to production quantities to replace fossil fuels.
    Steve B.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you
    have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Beans
    1,064
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Popcorn==>Ethanol ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I don't think the big problem is a loss of agricultural land elsewhere (I assume you're talking about desertification?), it's the clearing of virgin forests for additional growing land that's a worry. Like you say, that's driven by expanding population. The problem is that using existing land more intensively to avoid this creates it's own problems.

    I don't really see that we've got much choice though. People got to eat, and we can't just chop everything down.
    This is of course another problem. We can actually chop everything down, nothing will stop us from doing so except ourselves. The only problem is that once weve chopped everything down, we wont be able to replenish our decreasing supply of farmland and then people starve. That sucks.

    To get back on topic, the best way to use the extra popcorn is to eat it. By wasting food, you are wasting farmland and leading to the destruction of the worlds forests. This will eventually lead to a situation where there is not enough land to grow food for the worlds population. Famine will break out world wide, probably accompanied by wars and all sorts of unimaginable horrors. You wont be able to go to the movies then, thats for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •