Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commodore OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: nostalgia

a boat load of debs and a boatload of other stuff that archive manager couldn,t read you install it by (with the dvd in the drive ) go to system>commodore extras>install commodore OS extras , it just finished installing , now to see what it added . back soon .

edit : so far I've found a bunch of music and games under the A500 and C64 dirs nothing in the other dirs ( accessed from the C= icon in the dock )
    Last edited by ronacc; November 20th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's like Christmas early
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh my, it grew to 16.9GB installed size when I ran the extras
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Re: Commodore OS

is that true ARGB alpha enabled in the gtk theme ? (e.g. transparent menu bars)
    i've never got that working myself, it's something i'm after.

i have to say, i liked the idea of the retro font but it does look hard to read for lots of text.

i gather this distro comes with , amongst other things, a D-paint clone out of the box? (graphx2 ?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Merged two threads on the same subject.

Beans
    Distro

thanks cariboo907

@ ceti331 yes graphx2 is included and looks like dpaint used to

@ Quackers my test box has almost 2 TB spread across 6 drives so I always give my installs plenty of room in this case 30gb / and 60 gb home so I wasn't too concerned about how much space it took

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by jonkiribati View Post
    lol very interesting but I still have a Commodore 64
    Me too; if I want to use it I just plug it in and turn it on. Last time I did that though it was not really nostalgic, just brutally slow and irritating. Hence the 2012 Commodore OS I suppose.

I replaced the CPU in both my C-64 and 1541 with "Supercard" IIRC. There is a flipswitch to turn it on, and it increased the speed of the C-64 dramatically! And it pre-assigned the function keys and did other nifty tricks.

I needed the extra speed because I was running a BBS. The year was 1986!

Beans
    Distro

my C64 and C128 were stock except for a GEOS cartridge for each but I put a megamidgit racer with a 68030 & 68882 & 8mb ram in my A500 and it was faster than the windows box that replaced it after a lightning surge on the phone line took out the modem AND the serial port in the mid 90's .

Beans

I was born in the 90's so I didn't get to see any Commodore's, but I have the Commodore 64 app on my iPhone and I enjoy it very much. I especially like playing with Commodore 64 BASIC since I'm a Computer Science student.

This new OS looks pretty cool. It's just a little resource heavy from the looks of it. I mean you can't run that much Compiz on a wimpy laptop that's for sure. I will probably load this on my home desktop that has a core i3 (sandy bridge) and Nvidia graphics and see what it can do. It can't be that bad, it is using Linux Mint as its base which means down under all that retro blue theme there's Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Rupettux View Post
    I was born in the 90's so I didn't get to see any Commodore's, but I have the Commodore 64 app on my iPhone and I enjoy it very much. I especially like playing with Commodore 64 BASIC since I'm a Computer Science student.

This new OS looks pretty cool. It's just a little resource heavy from the looks of it. I mean you can't run that much Compiz on a wimpy laptop that's for sure. I will probably load this on my home desktop that has a core i3 (sandy bridge) and Nvidia graphics and see what it can do. It can't be that bad, it is using Linux Mint as its base which means down under all that retro blue theme there's Ubuntu.
    If you want the C64 experience, but don't have the resources for this distro, just install Vice in some other light weight distro. You can have an emulator in any distro you want.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast