Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Commodore OS

Beans

Re: Commodore OS

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If you want the C64 experience, but don't have the resources for this distro, just install Vice in some other light weight distro. You can have an emulator in any distro you want.
    Thanks, I'll try that out. I don't like to use a lot of system resources on eye candy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Looks like a Linux Based OS designed for their new computer release.

They're cashing in on the nostalgia ticket.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
    Last edited by Shibblet; November 23rd, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Kinda reminds me of Copland PPC, a Linux distro I created based on Xubuntu, for PowerPC Macs.

It used Xubuntu to create a Mac OS 9-style desktop complete with "Control Strip" and the application switcher menu, plus MacOnLinux, netatalk, and a "Chooser" program similar to the one in classic Mac OS. The feature I was working on was the ability to run an x86 Linux web browser and the x86 Linux Flash Player plugin so you could have Flash support on Copland. This would have happened via Qemu's "user mode emulation".

Seems quite similar in principle and technology to what the Vision developers are attempting, although they're not attempting to recreate the Commodore user interface.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Copland PPC, a Linux distro I created based on Xubuntu, for PowerPC Macs.
    Lol. You made a Linux distro to run specially on Mac hardware and tweaked it to look like the OS that originally came on that hardware.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've kind of been mad about this ever since I saw them announce it.

It's bad enough that they yanked the Commadore brands away from the actual people that are making real Amigas anymore, Hyperion Entertainment, A-Eon, ACube, and the select few others that even bother. It's kind of insulting to see the Amiga X1000 be pushed to the side for this little nostalgic machine that just crams in modern hardware that is completely incompatible with the modern AmigaOS 4.x series.

I dunno, it's just really disappointing. The distro looks absolutely terrible to me. It's like they decided to just copy Hardy Heron, slap a bad theme on it, and choose a bad font to go with it.

I wonder if they used RemasterSys?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSuperHero View Post
    I dunno, it's just really disappointing. The distro looks absolutely terrible to me. It's like they decided to just copy Hardy Heron, slap a bad theme on it, and choose a bad font to go with it.
    Good to see I'm not the only one who hates the aesthetics here.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Interesting.
    Do you need both downloads or is the second disc optional? It's not clear to me
    Disk one is the main OS and Disk 2 are the extras. They contain additional applications and is not required to run. The core OS has some of the basic essential apps out of the box. but if you want some extra goodies (and there are some good ones) I would install the extras as well.

I heard about this OS a couple of weeks ago after reading an article about the new Commodore 64X (Basically a PC in a C-64 case). apperently the Commodore OS will be shipping with the C-64X when its officially released.

That being said. It made me go through all my older components and put together a decent system to run the OS on.

I have Commodore OS running on the following setup.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
    4 Gigs Memory
    ASUS PSVD2-X Motherboard w/ Integrated sound (I forget the specifc chipset)
    GeForce 9400 GT Video Card
    1Tb Wetern Digital Hdd

The first time I Put the OS DVD in the drive I selected Installation menu and that seemed to not do anything asside from stay on the loading screen.

The second time around I just let the DVD auto boot and it installed fine.

I haven't played around with it too much seeing as I only installed it yesterday evening. But, my first thoughts are that its really nice. If you were one of those kids that had a Commodore 64 back in the day you will appreciate this OS all the more. The windows have that Blueish background with the Commodore font that we all are so used to.

On the downside, there is not a ton of support out there. And Commodore has made it very clear they they are not currently providing support for the OS at this point. They have put the Statement not only on their web page, but also on the terms of aggreement whe you install the OS.
    Last edited by Deano252; February 27th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Can anyone tell me what the game is on their website on the video at 1:19
    http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx
    Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I remember being a teen, just before getting my C64, watching the ads for it by William Shatner.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dagroves View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the game is on their website on the video at 1:19
    http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx
    That's 'Torus Trooper'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FQBcSIxaBY

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast