Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Commodore OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Commodore OS

if he had been smart he would have created a all in one computer built into the keyboard much like he did but with a hdmi out and much nicer more modern look all around then put ubuntu or mint on it and sold it for the same price point as the atom desktops out there..
    just hook up to your hdmi tv and go..
    sell a million for 150$

commodore was the brand name..back when brand name mattered
    i was lucky enough to have the vic20, c64 and the Amiga 500 back in the day
    when a 300 bbs modem was scorching fast speed..

just wish they would remake some of the games from back then.
    carrier command (yes i know its coming) beach head,and all the other one
    hit wonders.

Beans

Yes I am not a fan of the c64 pc...well thats what it is...

Oh and theres a 32bit version of the OS out now..

http://cbmosvision.webs.com
    Last edited by spannernick; October 30th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSuperHero View Post
    I've kind of been mad about this ever since I saw them announce it.

It's bad enough that they yanked the Commadore brands away from the actual people that are making real Amigas anymore, Hyperion Entertainment, A-Eon, ACube, and the select few others that even bother. It's kind of insulting to see the Amiga X1000 be pushed to the side for this little nostalgic machine that just crams in modern hardware that is completely incompatible with the modern AmigaOS 4.x series.

I dunno, it's just really disappointing. The distro looks absolutely terrible to me. It's like they decided to just copy Hardy Heron, slap a bad theme on it, and choose a bad font to go with it.

I wonder if they used RemasterSys?
    I wasn't really impressed with Hyperion or any of the others. Spend thousands of dollars to run Amiga OS on antiquated CPU's? No thank you. Companies fighting over which is the real Amiga, preventing anything from being done until the platform had fallen completely out of relevance? This is a package that runs on the laptop I have, and it's FREE in the proper linux tradition, plus it provides support for those commercial offerings like Amiga Forever.

If any of the Amiga successors had actually wanted the Amiga platform to move forward they would have taken advantage of all of the 040 Macs that were out there and offered a package. If YellowDog could market a PPC Linux with a fair degree of success until Mac switched over to Intel, there is no reason that a software kit could not have been offered. But instead they all insisted on us buying proprietary, expensive, incompatible, and more to the point, increasingly out of date PPC hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
    I wasn't really impressed with Hyperion or any of the others. Spend thousands of dollars to run Amiga OS on antiquated CPU's? No thank you.
    Those new PPC cpu's that Hyperion and Aeon use, are anything but oldfashioned. One cannot compare a PPC architecture to x86 architecture. Just like you cannot compare ARM to x86. The reason for mac switching to intel... who knows, marketing (probably ease of compatibility)? It's not because intel x86 is something "better".

Also all the major game consoles of today are PPC.
    Last edited by Jakin; November 12th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I have zero interest in this as it's just a linux distro with a name to it. It has nothing in common with any of Commodore's old operating systems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Copland PPC, a Linux distro I created based on Xubuntu, for PowerPC Macs.

It used Xubuntu to create a Mac OS 9-style desktop complete with "Control Strip" and the application switcher menu, plus MacOnLinux, netatalk, and a "Chooser" program similar to the one in classic Mac OS. The feature I was working on was the ability to run an x86 Linux web browser and the x86 Linux Flash Player plugin so you could have Flash support on Copland. This would have happened via Qemu's "user mode emulation".

Seems quite similar in principle and technology to what the Vision developers are attempting, although they're not attempting to recreate the Commodore user interface.
    If someone could compile Pantheon Shell for PPC, we'd have a working replacement for Mac OSX Leopard which is showing its age and is no longer officially supported by Apple. It can be themed to look like Mac OSX.

Beans

I used to be a moderator (then for a short while, admin) of one of the major Amiga forums (one of the controversial ones). I left a few years ago, but i still lurk in the scene, reading current trends/thoughts etc. CommodoreUSA proved to be a highly controversial endeavour. I think it has somewhat gone off the boil, to a simmer nowadays.

*personally*, i think it is an interesting product. A cop out? Perhaps. I think the Linux flavour is not a bad thing, in any sense. Many Amigans moved to Linux in the late '90s, including legendary Nick Veitch. so I don't think it's a bad move. Legendary Commodore Amiga engineer, Dave Haynie, has also for a number of years asked for a port to x86 (but was shouted down for it, by the purists......). We must not also forget, that with the then much slated new platform of Amigas, the AAA machines, there were strong and highly informed rumours that Commodore was going to move towards Windows NT (Linux would have been the better move ).

My main problem was with some of the types that had gathered around the company (I used to moderate some of them before they became players in the company......). Some of the *reps* have shown an extremely unprofessional standard in making certain threats to certain members of the community. And they can be highly trigger happy, litigation-wise.

Other than this main gripe, and the fact that the hardware is still waaaaay too pricey (then again, none of the other *pure* Amiga products are cheap either), I wish the endeavour well.

My two cents!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
    I used to be a moderator (then for a short while, admin) of one of the major Amiga forums (one of the controversial ones). I left a few years ago, but i still lurk in the scene, reading current trends/thoughts etc. CommodoreUSA proved to be a highly controversial endeavour. I think it has somewhat gone off the boil, to a simmer nowadays.

*personally*, i think it is an interesting product. A cop out? Perhaps. I think the Linux flavour is not a bad thing, in any sense. Many Amigans moved to Linux in the late '90s, including legendary Nick Veitch. so I don't think it's a bad move. Legendary Commodore Amiga engineer, Dave Haynie, has also for a number of years asked for a port to x86 (but was shouted down for it, by the purists......). We must not also forget, that with the then much slated new platform of Amigas, the AAA machines, there were strong and highly informed rumours that Commodore was going to move towards Windows NT (Linux would have been the better move ).

My main problem was with some of the types that had gathered around the company (I used to moderate some of them before they became players in the company......). Some of the *reps* have shown an extremely unprofessional standard in making certain threats to certain members of the community. And they can be highly trigger happy, litigation-wise.

Other than this main gripe, and the fact that the hardware is still waaaaay too pricey (then again, none of the other *pure* Amiga products are cheap either), I wish the endeavour well.

My two cents!
    Interesting.

You probably know me, or "of" me.

I'm "The_Editor/Outcast" ... Big Bash Organiser extraordinaire !!

Cecilia used to hang out round these parts too
    Last edited by Swagman; November 16th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

Hahahahahahahahahha!

How you doing, mate?

It's Nick

Far out, you still got more posts than me

-edit-

Oh wow, hope she comes back, I always fond of Cecilia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahha!

How you doing, mate?

It's Nick

Far out, you still got more posts than me

-edit-

Oh wow, hope she comes back, I always fond of Cecilia
    Well bu99er my taytors !!

Small world mate.

Yay .. The Amiga crew finding it's way over here hehe.

Actually I may have more posts than you here but iirc it was you (or Stan) that helped me out when I first installed Debian on my AmigaOne ?

LOOK WOT U DID !!

hehe

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast