Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System76 User Survey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System76 User Survey

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Chaselee,

I filled out your survey several days ago and I concur with the other comments regarding the definition of the term "PC." I've noticed that you've made the change on your spreadsheet.

One of the limitations of your study is that you are getting your participants from a very limited subject pool. Ubuntu Forum users are a small, self-selected group that may not be representative of the universe of System76 customers. Have you discussed with System76 a way of reaching customers that are not Ubuntu Forum users? Perhaps they may be able to help you by sending an email to their customers with a link to your survey. Of course, I doubt that they'll give you the mailing list for privacy reasons, but they may be able to send an email solicitation for you.

I suspect you may not be capturing two important issues regarding a customer's decision to purchase a System76 computer with GNU/Linux versus a Windows PC: 1) avoiding the "Windows Tax" and 2) word-of-mouth.

1) The "Windows Tax." Of course, when all is said and done, a Windows PC with similar specs to a GNU/Linux PC is often not much more expensive (and in some cases, less expensive). So it is not about the money. For me, I ultimately chose my System76 laptop because I did not want to become a customer of Microsoft and I didn't want my purchase to be added to their sales statistics.

2) Word-of-Mouth. System76 has sold 3 systems based solely on my recommendation. These folks had been using GNU/Linux simply because that is what I support. When they wanted a new computer, they consulted with me and purchased what I recommended. I suspect that for every "geek" that purchases from a GNU/Linux PC vendor for technical or philosophical reasons, there is at least one or two non-technical users who purchase from that vendor simply because of the "geek's" recommendation.

Perhaps you may wish to use the current survey as a "pilot" study and use the results to refine the instrument. With the assistance of System76, you can then expand your subject pool and send the refined survey. You may even wish to include some other vendors of GNU/Linux PCs.

(Full Disclosure: I am a behavioral researcher by training and a director of technology & communications by profession. My research interests are Testing & Measurement, Statistical Analysis, Human Interface Design & Systems Analysis with a focus on end-users, and Workplace Stress -- not as "hodge-podge" as it may seem. )

I wish you success with your research. I hope that you will publish your results on this forum!
    I recommend System 76 hire a System Analist of course I don't know if that will make them competitive. Consumer want Monster computers but they will always be grateful when helped to make a wise decision. nice thread btw
    i5-480M (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 cache) 4GB DDR3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Chaselee,

I filled out your survey several days ago and I concur with the other comments regarding the definition of the term "PC." I've noticed that you've made the change on your spreadsheet.

One of the limitations of your study is that you are getting your participants from a very limited subject pool. Ubuntu Forum users are a small, self-selected group that may not be representative of the universe of System76 customers. Have you discussed with System76 a way of reaching customers that are not Ubuntu Forum users? Perhaps they may be able to help you by sending an email to their customers with a link to your survey. Of course, I doubt that they'll give you the mailing list for privacy reasons, but they may be able to send an email solicitation for you.

I suspect you may not be capturing two important issues regarding a customer's decision to purchase a System76 computer with GNU/Linux versus a Windows PC: 1) avoiding the "Windows Tax" and 2) word-of-mouth.

1) The "Windows Tax." Of course, when all is said and done, a Windows PC with similar specs to a GNU/Linux PC is often not much more expensive (and in some cases, less expensive). So it is not about the money. For me, I ultimately chose my System76 laptop because I did not want to become a customer of Microsoft and I didn't want my purchase to be added to their sales statistics.

2) Word-of-Mouth. System76 has sold 3 systems based solely on my recommendation. These folks had been using GNU/Linux simply because that is what I support. When they wanted a new computer, they consulted with me and purchased what I recommended. I suspect that for every "geek" that purchases from a GNU/Linux PC vendor for technical or philosophical reasons, there is at least one or two non-technical users who purchase from that vendor simply because of the "geek's" recommendation.

Perhaps you may wish to use the current survey as a "pilot" study and use the results to refine the instrument. With the assistance of System76, you can then expand your subject pool and send the refined survey. You may even wish to include some other vendors of GNU/Linux PCs.

(Full Disclosure: I am a behavioral researcher by training and a director of technology & communications by profession. My research interests are Testing & Measurement, Statistical Analysis, Human Interface Design & Systems Analysis with a focus on end-users, and Workplace Stress -- not as "hodge-podge" as it may seem. )

I wish you success with your research. I hope that you will publish your results on this forum!
    Hi, thanks for this response! Their's some great testimonial value in here among other things.

We were already well-aware of the two issues you raise (despite my low bean count, I've been around for quite a while), which is why they weren't covered. Both came out in the free response sections of the survey despite this, which is what we were hoping for. This survey was actually posted in a ton of other places. I would have loved to have it sent with the cooperation of System76, but I was unsuccessful at obtaining their cooperation, so this survey was developed and posted independently.

I'm not sure why, but I was also denied an interview. Luckily Ian (isantop) is very helpful, so we were able to backdoor some of our interview questions just by calling sales and support. Sorry Ian If it's any consolation, we also called up Dell and HP, and they showed just how terrible their service is in comparison. Sidenote: Am I the only one that's pissed Canonical has partnered with Dell in China and now Asus with little to no love for System76? I'm sorry but when we called Dell and asked about Ubuntu, the rep didn't even know what it was, and she was tier 2 sales in America. I'm happy to see Ubuntu getting in stores but that's just inexcusable.

I'm not sure yet whether we will be able to publish the results of the survey and our analysis for a number of reasons, but I would like to share them with everyone if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah, that's you that was asking all of those difficult questions!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I wonder what chaselee asked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Actually it was someone else on my team, but yes we did call asking for assistance in choosing a laptop. You handled the questions amazingly (no surprises) and may have even won over some of the others in the group to make their next purchase through System76 (so it wasn't a complete waste of your time I hope). Everyone was blown away at the level of service you provided versus what we got when calling the big Windows OEMs, well everyone except for me because that's one of the biggest reasons I'm typing this on my gazp6

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    I wonder what chaselee asked.
    My confederate described what they needed in a computer and then asked what would be good for his grandma. There were a bunch of other questions thrown in (essentially nothing about sales or figures, which is the one thing we're lacking) too but that's basically it. Ian was amazing at helping him find the right machines of course

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12