Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden Asset (isometric assassination/stealth game)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hostile Takeover (isometric assassination/stealth game)

Development Video #15
    January 12th

It's video time again!

New stuff in this video:
    * Finished the in-game interface
    * Almost finished the menus
    * Tied player actions to noise and suspicion generation
    * Particle effects to show characters growing suspicious
    * Added pauses to character dialogue
    * Resolution can now be changed in-game
    * Added small thumbnail images for saved games

I've also almost finished work on doubling the directions for the male aiming and shooting animations (from 8 to 16 directions). After that, I'll make the missing sprites for female characters (aiming, shooting, hit, and fall/die). There's also still a bunch of minor things, bug fixes, optimizations and tune-ups.

When all that's done, I think I'll begin working on the AI, since that's the biggest component missing before I can really start playing around with actual gameplay -- and not just building the surrounding framework. I'm really looking forward to create a simple mission where you have to sneak past patrolling guards or get in a firefight. That's when all this stuff will hopefully come together and be an actual game! After that, a release of the first pre-alpha version shouldn't be far behind. Stay tuned!
    Laserbrain Studios - Currently developing Hidden Asset!
    Ascii Sector - Real-time roguelike in space!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's really looking good, Christian Knudsen.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks!

Also, Hostile Takeover just got mentioned by The Indie Game Magazine:

http://www.indiegamemag.com/hostile-...id-met-hitman/

My first press mention!

Beans

Looking very polished loving it and cant wait, when will you start pre-orders

Will be featuring it on the gol website again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks!

If I take pre-orders for the game, it won't be until there's a complete demo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Development Video #16
    March 5th

Clicky, clicky:

New stuff in this video:
    * Wall decorations
    * Some more art assets
    * Light sources can now be added/edited in the map editor
    * Light sources can also be "baked" into the map to avoid having to calculate shadow casting for static light sources
    * Added the Remote Trigger
    * Integrated some more of the scripting language so that light sources and elevators can be toggled off/on
    * Added a briefcase with money to your inventory showing how much cash you've got

Work continues on the female character sprites for getting shot and killed, and I'm almost done with the doubling of male character aiming and shooting sprites. I also just today managed to improve the lighting engine to allow for more smooth lighting (partially inspired by the great work done by the Project Zomboid guys), but that's still work-in-progress, which is why I'm not showing it in this video. I'll put some screenshots up when it's worth showing.

And then there's the big elephant in the room: AI. It's quite a daunting task, since so much of the game will be about manipulating NPCs, and I've only briefly jotted down some ideas. I recently finished Batman: Arkham Asylum (can't wait to get my hands on Arkham City!), and the reactions of the NPCs in that game is somewhat of an inspiration - especially how the thugs would freak out the more of them you picked off. But I'll probably write a separate blog post on AI at some point, so I won't go more into that now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

So far, looking very good indeed!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smooth lighting
    March 10th

As mentioned briefly in the last blog post, I've been working on smooth lighting. That's now complete and working as well as I think I'll get it to. Check out these comparison screenshots:

As I also mentioned in the last blog post, this was somewhat inspired by the Project Zomboid programmer adding smooth lighting to that game (and now I notice that they also posted some comparison screenshots just yesterday!). I believe he accomplished this by overlaying a multiplied and untextured polygon that completely matches the shape of each ground tile, with the vertices of that polygon set to color values that create a smooth transition. I tried this as well, but wasn't quite able to get the same results, and switching the OpenGL blending between normal mode and the multiply mode each frame also added a bit of overhead, so I went for a simpler method where I just supply the smoothing color values to the vertices of the sprite itself, skipping the overlay entirely.

The Project Zomboid method results in much smoother lighting on the ground (there really aren't any hard edges at all), while my method still retains some of the per tile lighting, which I kinda like. It's sort of halfway between the old X-COM hard lighting and the completely smooth lighting of Project Zomboid. I'm adding a toggle to the options menu to turn smooth lighting off if you prefer the old school hard edges.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks great, also x-com was exactly what I thought when I looked at the pictures. Any rough timeline for the release schedule? Have you contacted Desura for distribution help? They may be able to sort out some alpha funding.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm currently working towards making the game's demo, which will be pretty much feature complete, so I'll "just" have to expand this framework with more missions and a larger story for the full game. I want to keep the development of this demo quite open, so I'll be releasing somewhat regular updates until the demo is complete. Hopefully the first pre-alpha version of the demo will be released with the next 3 months -- but I've been shooting way off target with my time estimates so far, so I'm not promising anything.

I'm not looking into alpha funding for various reasons, but I'm sure I'll want to get on Desura when the game is complete.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast