Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden Asset (isometric assassination/stealth game)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hidden Asset (isometric assassination/stealth game) ALPHA TESTERS WANTED!

Subscribe to the mailing list if you want to be sure to know about game/demo releases or future Kickstarter campaigns!

-----

Original first post:

I've been working on this game for a good year now, and writing a few blog entries and making some development videos now and again. My latest video has a minor shout-out to Ubuntu, so I thought I'd post a link to it here.

The game is being made for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

About the game (copy-pasted from my site):

Hostile Takeover is Laserbrain Studio’s first commercial game. It takes place in a not-too-distant future devastated by a global economic crisis. In a desperate attempt to counteract this crisis, the world’s governments agreed to grant all large corporations immunity from prosecution. This was meant to free corporations from the oppressions of control and legislation but instead cast the global business world into deadly conflicts. Now, no longer inhibited by law, corporations wage war. And within this new world, a new occupation has seen the light of day: corporate assassin.

You are such an assassin. Working for whoever hires you. Killing whoever they tell you to. You will infiltrate businesses. Shoot up offices. Assassinate CEOs. No mercy. No doubts. It’s all just business.

Presented in a third-person isometric perspective, Hostile Takeover will be a throwback to classics like Fallout, X-COM and Syndicate. You will control your character in a real-time environment, sneaking around corporate buildings and avoiding security guards before dealing a final deadly blow to your target. As you progress through the game, new equipment will be purchasable for the money you make.

Hostile Takeover is currently in development. It will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. No release date has been set, but you can follow the game’s development on our blog.
    Last edited by Christian Knudsen; May 18th, 2016 at 09:38 PM.
    Laserbrain Studios - Currently developing Hidden Asset!
    Ascii Sector - Real-time roguelike in space!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Hostile Takeover (isometric assassination/stealth game)

THis looks very exciting. I was a huge fan of both Syndicate and still consider XCOM the best game ever made.

Definately looking forward to this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's pretty cool, Christian Knudsen.

I love the music, and the gameplay looks good.

Is the view angle change intentional?

I'm referring, to the elevator sequences.

The up elevator, is from one view, and the down elevator, is another view.
    Last edited by hansdown; November 13th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Is the view angle change intentional?
    Yep, I'm rotating the map manually just to show that it can be rotated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Loving the game! Loving the art style!

Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks! I'll be sure to crosspost my blogposts to this thread from now on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    THis looks very exciting. I was a huge fan of both Syndicate and still consider XCOM the best game ever made.

Definately looking forward to this.
    What's with the XCOM??? every one says it's THE best squad based strategy game out there....And it's released 1994 the year I was born. I have never played it...I guess I have missed a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sarys View Post
    What's with the XCOM??? every one says it's THE best squad based strategy game out there....And it's released 1994 the year I was born. I have never played it...I guess I have missed a lot.
    UFO: Enemy Unknown and it's direct successor X-Com: Terror from the deep are one of, if not the best, isometric tactical & strategy games.
    i've played them through a couple of times. though not original UFO as i don't like it so much due to limited environments and weaker graphics and options. but some people prefer it.

They had a few successors (Apokalypse...), clones and spinoffs but nothing comes close to originals in their simplistic user interface and engaging gameplay. graphics might not be so great (by today's standards) but gameplay is fantastic and engaging. you can run them in linux using dosBOX. they are available on various abandonware sites if they are not sold somewhere.

an opensource port exists that enables you to play them against other players. an opensource game that is similar is UFO:AI (works in linux) that uses quake engine to dra environments. there is also a new version in the making or already out that looks quite neat.

you should definatelly find them and give them try. just don't be discouraged by graphcis. they are not up to today's standards, but they were good at the time. it's the game play that is good.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    UFO: Enemy Unknown and it's direct successor X-Com: Terror from the deep are one of, if not the best, isometric tactical & strategy games.
    i've played them through a couple of times. though not original UFO as i don't like it so much due to limited environments and weaker graphics and options. but some people prefer it.

They had a few successors (Apokalypse...), clones and spinoffs but nothing comes close to originals in their simplistic user interface and engaging gameplay. graphics might not be so great (by today's standards) but gameplay is fantastic and engaging. you can run them in linux using dosBOX. they are available on various abandonware sites if they are not sold somewhere.

an opensource port exists that enables you to play them against other players. an opensource game that is similar is UFO:AI (works in linux) that uses quake engine to dra environments. there is also a new version in the making or already out that looks quite neat.

you should definatelly find them and give them try. just don't be discouraged by graphcis. they are not up to today's standards, but they were good at the time. it's the game play that is good.
    Gamersgate sells XCOM games I bought XCOM collection that comes with all XCOM games (minus the newest one)
    I've only played the first one and that's good but hard. But I like it. I think it's bit better than UFO:AI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Release: v0.1.5 (and Development Video #20)
    February 3rd

Here's the latest version and a video demonstrating what's new gameplay-wise:

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Windows (21.5 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Linux 32-bit (21 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Linux 64-bit (21 MB)

Changes:
    - Fixed issue with light sources on a tile with a coffee table.
    - Fixed minor graphical bug at some wall joints.
    - Created the player character's look and implemented the system for having characters with unique appearances.
    - Made the animation and sprites for sneaking.
    - Removed the planned separate sneaking movement mode (which was supposed to be more silent, while crouching would just hide you behind cover).
    - Removed Combat Mode and just made it so that characters you need to talk to can't be attacked.
    - Added Tactical Mode in place of Combat Mode, which highlights stuff that can be interacted with, shows the restriction level of areas (green, yellow, red) and displays a color-coded field-of-view cone for NPCs (and a white field-of-view circle for the player).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast