Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem AMD graphics Steam games on 16.04

Beans

Problem AMD graphics Steam games on 16.04

Hello guys. My notebook has hybrid graphics Intel I7 4th gen + AMD R7 M265. I use Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.6.0-040600-generic.
    I'm running open source drivers. If I run a steam game without parameters, typing sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch returns Dynamic OFF to my discrete card
    and if I add "DRI_PRIME=1 %command%" on game launch parameter, vgaswitcheroo/switch returns Dynamic PWR for discrete card, so I know my discrete card is being used when DRI_PRIME=1 is passed.
    (I did not understand what this DRI_PRIME=1 is. I think it's necessary in order to activate discrete card)

The problem is: there are some black stains on screen on some Steam games like Trine and Never Alone (images attached) using both integrated and discrete card.
    And the performance is very poor on these 2 games using both graphics. Settings are on minimum but I can't play them smoothly. I did not notice any improvements using discrete card.
    Is the performance really poor with open source drivers? Am I missing something?

Any help would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Setting Trine visual effects to Low instead of Very Low solves the problem of black spots on screen but game becomes unplayable due to heavy lag. I must be missing something because my graphic card is good enough to run Trine.
    Doing the same for Never Alone still does not solve the problem of black stains.

Some information:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --listproviders 
    Providers: number : 3
    Provider 0: id: 0x68 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 2 name:Intel
    Provider  1: id: 0x3f cap: 0x6, Sink Output, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0  associated providers: 2 name:TOPAZ @ pci:0000:03:00.0
    Provider 2: id:  0x3f cap: 0x6, Sink Output, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0  associated providers: 2 name:TOPAZ @ pci:0000:03:00.0
    Code:
    $ glxinfo | grep rend
    direct rendering: Yes
        GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile 
        GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, 
        GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,
    Code:
    $ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep rend
    direct rendering: Yes
    Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ICELAND (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, 
        GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bcellin; May 22nd, 2016 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Problem AMD graphics Steam games on 16.04

Are you using the open source radeon drivers? You might try the proprietary ATI drivers. Or vice versa.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For 16.04, the proprietary driver is AMDGPU. fglrx is not included with 16.04 because Canonical did not want to wait to deploy the latest X Server and AMD did not want to make the fglrx driver compatible with it.

When installed, Ubuntu will determine whether the AMDGPU driver can be used. If it cannot, the default Radeon driver is used.

Given that AMDGPU was not used during installation, I do not believe the AMDGPU driver will work with that adapter at this point,. However, it may be supported bythe end of Summer.
    Last edited by QIII; May 23rd, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    For 16.04, the proprietary driver is AMDGPU. fglrx is not included with 16.04 because Canonical did not want to wait to deploy the latest X Server and AMD did not want to make the fglrx driver compatible with it.
    When I was using 14.04 I installed fglrx once and the performance was catastrophic. On amdcccle I chose my discrete card to be active and everything was so laggy. Even desktop and nautilus; I could not watch a movie on Firefox without lag.
    I turned back to radeon (open source driver) but by that time I did not know about the command "DRI_PRIME=1" so I was using my integrated card to render everything. That's why I gave up on heavy games like Trine.

Now I installed 16.04 hoping to get performance with my discrete card with open source driver amdgpu and "DRI_PRIME=1", that is, to actually use my discrete card. But I am experiencing same results or even worse as integrated graphics on games.

Given that AMDGPU was not used during installation, I do not believe the AMDGPU driver will work with that adapter at this point,. However, it may be supported bythe end of Summer.
    I've seen on forums that amdgpu support for my hardware has even gone out of beta on latest kernel. It is supported now. I'm not sure, but that's what I read. I don't have the source link on the top of my mind but here are some:
    http://www.osside.net/?p=16065
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/76716...ated-to-amdgpu

Are you using the open source radeon drivers? You might try the proprietary ATI drivers. Or vice versa.
    I'm pretty sure I'm using amdgpu because when I type
    Code:
    lsmod | grep radeon
    I get nothing.

And look the output with amdgpu
    Code:
    lsmod | grep amdgpu
    amdgpu                987136  1
    ttm                    98304  1 amdgpu
    i2c_algo_bit           16384  2 i915,amdgpu
    drm_kms_helper        147456  2 i915,amdgpu
    drm                   364544  8 ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ah. Then yes, you are using the AMDGPU driver.

Here's the next question, however: Does Steam work with the AMDGPU driver?

That I don't know, since I lost interest in Steam some time ago. Phoronix (of course) might have some answers for that.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

since it is all in AMD's hands - have you tried asking them where the issue is?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Thank you for your willing to help.

since it is all in AMD's hands - have you tried asking them where the issue is?
    I've contacted suppport on AMD's site. I don't know if it's what you meant. I pretty much copied and pasted what I've said on this thread. I'm waiting for their answer.

That I don't know, since I lost interest in Steam some time ago. Phoronix (of course) might have some answers for that.
    I'll try to contact him on his website because last posts about R7 M265 are already old and I don't know if I'm gonna get an answer if I post there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it is what i mean. i am not sur ehow good AMD support is. so far i only tried nvidia (user forums and official) - very helpful, but couldn't get to the bottom of it as i couldn't provide results of troubleshooting script for obvious reasons.

so fingers crossed oyu will do better with AMD. perhaps there is a setting or a swtich that was missed.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    For 16.04, the proprietary driver is AMDGPU.
    No, it's open source.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    since it is all in AMD's hands
    As it's open source it's in everybody's hands.

It's a good sign that AMD is going to support the open source drivers also for new cards.
    Last edited by mörgæs; May 24th, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I think QIII was referring to the AMDGPU-Pro driver which is a "Hybrid" proprietary driver that uses the AMDGPU kernel module.

The M265 isn't supported in the AMDGPU-Pro yet though, it only states M395X support. The support for other cards is becoming available as the driver matures but it will be a while yet before it gets to a parity level with what fglrx used to do. It is almost there performance wise from what I've seen on the limited set of cards it does support, sometimes even faster than what fglrx could do.

I've had very little success with Steam on the open source drivers, have only tested a handful of AMD/Nvidia cards but Steam doesn't like either open source driver. It may improve soon with the opensource drivers now pushing into OpenGL 4.3+ but again it's a lot of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast