Thread: HP Touchsmart drivers

Beans
    Hidden!

HP Touchsmart drivers

//
    Last edited by krazykookmany; November 28th, 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HP Touchsmart drivers

I would be suprised if you could get drivers of any windows version installed using wine. I don't believe that's wine's purpose.
    As this thread suggests you will need to use the livecd to see what works and if installing to the touchsmart is practical. There are a few other threads in the forums on touchsmarts but I didn't see anyone claiming full operation.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: HP Touchsmart drivers

Do not bother installing Ubuntu on the HP Touchsmart unless you want absolutely limited functionality. And I mean no touchscreen ability, no wireless LAN, no lightscribe CD burning, no TV tuner etc. Basically all the cool things the machine is capable of. I have one, and installed Ubuntu on it. So I know what I am talking about. The mish mash of cheap components hp used has little to no possible driver support outside of a windows environment, and wine won't help you there. I actually contacted the company in New Zealand that makes the touchscreen, and asked for help fixing it to work with Linux. They were friendly enough, and sympathetic to the cause and they had their tech guy mail me. He asked for a readout of my (xorg.conf) which I quickly emailed him. Alas he was in Asia working and too busy to help me out with a simple script to send to the touchscreen to recalibrate it.

In short don't waste your time. Install Ubuntu on a more worthy machine

Beans

I have no experience with your hardware but I will say that I got a toshiba tablet working flawlessly with ubuntu
    I liked it far better than tabletXP.

I had to install the wacom drivers and modify the xconfig, nothing major
    I see a new button! click! click! click!

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: HP Touchsmart drivers

//
    Last edited by krazykookmany; June 21st, 2010 at 05:59 AM.

Beans

Ok this is a bit late but just stumbled across this thread. On Ubuntu 8.10 I manged to get everything working on my touchsmart (including the pad and mic). Well, except for the 3 buttons on the right side of the screen.
    Last edited by dabbish; July 19th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

I have a HP Touch Smart PC and I run Ubuntu on it the touch screen options work. The only thing I've found that doesn't work is the on screen keyboard

Beans

Please let me know how you got it to work..