Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Mini 110 3050ss screen flickering

Beans
    Hidden!

HP Mini 110 3050ss screen flickering

Hi,

Yesterday, my screen starting flickering like mad, changing colours and failing, 'til the point my netbook in unusable. I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 amd64, and had just installed the last 230 updates KPackageKit offered (I hadn't had internet access for a while).

The netbook started up normally after reboot, and then after a while, this began to happen. After force shutting it down, I tried to roll back to previous kernel, but the problem persists during boot screen as well. I downloaded 11.11 and managed to boot from my USB drive, but still, the screen does the same thing.

This is definitely a hardware problem, isn't it? Bad contact between screen and graphics adapter? Graphics adapter itself? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advace!

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: HP Mini 110 3050ss screen flickering

Hi kuckunniwi,

Can you test if you get a good picture using an external monitor? That might help locating the problem.

Olle

Beans
    Hidden!

Good idea! (an thanks for the quick reply!). Just tried it, and image is perfectly fine on the external monitor....

Beans

This is definitely a hardware problem, isn't it? Bad contact between screen and graphics adapter? Graphics adapter itself?
    I think it is a good guess, but it is not easy to dig into the hardware. It could be a bad connection but also some electronic component.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    I think it is a good guess, but it is not easy to dig into the hardware. It could be a bad connection but also some electronic component.
    I'm pretty sure the netbook is still under warranty, so I'll look for the receipt, back up my files (this is where your advice really comes in handy) and...[gulp]...take it to HP. Speaking of which, I upgraded the RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb a few months ago. It doesn't say anywhere that that is a breach in warranty, but do you think it would be wise to put the original memory back in, just to be on the safe side...?

Beans

As far as I understand, upgrading RAM is 'allowed'. Some companies might frown when they find another OS than Windows. Check that in your license text, if you can find it! But I don't think that Kubuntu did any harm.

Beans
    Hidden!

As far as I understand, upgrading RAM is 'allowed'. Some companies might frown when they find another OS than Windows. Check that in your license text, if you can find it! But I don't think that Kubuntu did any harm.
    Yeah, I'm sure Kubuntu won't particularly be their cup of tea, but being a hardware issue, I don't think they can blame the problem on the OS. (although I wouldn't entirely discard the possibility of them trying to do so anyway...)

Fingers crossed...

Thanks for your help!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Backed up my files, then left the netbook in a drawer for the last couple of days (possibly a combination of laziness and dreading having to deal with HP customer service). Switched it on today...all back to normal! Screen working perfectly! Cheeky, attention-seeking little device!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kuckunniwi View Post
    Backed up my files, then left the netbook in a drawer for the last couple of days (possibly a combination of laziness and dreading having to deal with HP customer service). Switched it on today...all back to normal! Screen working perfectly! Cheeky, attention-seeking little device!!!
    +1 (!!!)

Maybe some bad connection. Test it long time sessions, several on-off sequences and different temperature, humidity, open-close lid etc (whatever you might think could have an influence)!

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 (!!!)

Maybe some bad connection. Test it long time sessions, several on-off sequences and different temperature, humidity, open-close lid etc (whatever you might think could have an influence)!
    Thanks, will do! Great advice, as always!
    Definitely seems like it was a bad connection. Will mark as solved when testing has concluded (and hopefully, all is working correctly)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast