Thread: bandwidth shaping/limiting

Beans

bandwidth shaping/limiting

i have a ubuntu 10.4 server on my network and i have 3 other pc's connected to my network if i install another nic into my server then connect that to a old wireless router/switch ca i then limit the bandwidth of the computers connected the 2nd router
    can i limit this by a percentage or just a figure in mbs

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: bandwidth shaping/limiting

Hi

If you are going to use your router just as a switch (not a gateway, no dhcp etc) because your server has taken over this role then take a look at traffic control.

Code:
    man tc
    You can limit bandwidth in kb, Mb etc. I am not sure about percentages.

You may also want to limit the number of connections each client can make. For this you need the conntrack and connlimit modules. You can limit connections with iptables rules.

If the router is going to do this then you may want to flash it with dd-wrt. You can then ssh into the router and set traffic control manually. To limit the number of connections each client can make you need either to purchase the paid version of dd-wrt or build it yourself with the connlimit module installed.

I am currently looking into the second option as i did not receive an answer when i e-mailed them about getting a flash image for a particular router with that module installed.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; November 19th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

my first thought was dd-wrt but i havent got a router handy that i can install it on
    i can use the router as a switch just turning off dhcp
    looking into man tc now i will probley need a guide

thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

No problem. Post back if you need more pointers. I am no expert on this by any means. I researched just enough to achieve my goals.

Another point; to test it after you have set it up use a line speed checker. I use broadbandspeedchecker because i am based in the UK (i am in no way endorsing them above any other). You may want to use one nearer to your locale.

Just remember though, it does use up your bandwidth if you have that kind of contract with your ISP. I am lucky. I have no restricted cap per month. I just have to abide by a fair use policy.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; November 19th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?