Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS Firefox 3.6

10.04 LTS Firefox 3.6

I tried out the new ubuntu 11 and it was great, but gnome and unity didn't like my dual monitors. I went back to 10.04 because it was LTS. And yes my monitors worked. But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 LTS Firefox 3.6

Do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Welcome to Firefox 7.0.1

PS: I actually still prefer Chrome, my personal 0.02$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1983 View Post
    I tried out the new ubuntu 11 and it was great, but gnome and unity didn't like my dual monitors. I went back to 10.04 because it was LTS. And yes my monitors worked. But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically?
    Each version of Ubuntu comes with its own set of software. You don't get newer software on an LTS release, if you constantly upgrade, then things will never get stable. If you upgrade Firefox, then you might as well upgrade Xorg and the kernel and then just add Unity and Gnome 3 and then you have 11.10.

There are ways to get newer software on an LTS release, all you have to do is look for unofficial PPA with whatever software you need. There are risks (just like anything you download from the Internet) and things may potentially get less stable, however, many people use the unofficial ppa and are pretty happy about it.

Beans

But why doesn't Firefox actually upgrade to latest and greatest automatically?
    The post above answers "how" but as to "why" the answer is simple: Ubuntu 10.04 was released April 2010 and uses older, stable, well-tested software. It will never give you the "latest and greatest automatically" and in fact that's why a lot of people choose to use 10.04 LTS.

Thanks, typhoon_tip!

Each version of Ubuntu comes with its own set of software. You don't get newer software on an LTS release, if you constantly upgrade, then things will never get stable. If you upgrade Firefox, then you might as well upgrade Xorg and the kernel and then just add Unity and Gnome 3 and then you have 11.10.
    Just because I want an updated third party web browser I should just say "screw it" and update my entire system?

Beans

Just download the firefox from mozilla.com
    ClearlooksOSX Theme and Icons for Linux.
    http://yopnono.mezoka.com/greyworld/

Beans

Just because I want an updated third party web browser I should just say "screw it" and update my entire system?
    Did you try typhoon-tip's instructions before ranting? You don't need to update your entire system to 11.10, just add a PPA repository to get the latest Firefox in 10.04.
    Last edited by snowpine; November 11th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

What he says is partly true. Some software sources tend to overwrite system files and mess systems up, and personally I would never suggest them. Firefox and Thunderbird are however a notable exception to the rule , as they install only their brilliant software and nothing more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You could do that, but whether you should is up to you to decide.

I don't know why you think Firefox is a third party browser to Ubuntu. It's the default browser, and is rather tightly integrated with the desktop.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; November 11th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast