Thread: Repartition Mistake

Beans

Repartition Mistake

Hello, I am a Ubuntu and Linux newbie. I apparently know just enough to get myself in trouble. A few weeks ago I shrank my Vista partition in Vista, and then installed Ubuntu 11.10. Today I removed more unnecessary items from Vista, and then shrunk that partition further leaving me 58GB of unallocated space. I then used a 11.10 live CD and GParted for the first time to try and grow the Linux partition. I was unable to figure out how to use the size option to grow the partition, only shrink it. What I ended up inadvertently doing was moving my original 37GB partition (/dev/sda5) to the unallocated 58GB partition. Ubuntu rebooted just fine. When I go to properties of the partition I am booted into for Ubuntu it says I have 51GB free space, leading me to believe that I now boot to the 58GB partition (/dev/sda3).

My question is this - Storage Device Manager shows errors for /dev/sda5. What should I do to /dev/sda5 to rid it of errors, and then what should I do with hit entirely? Is there a way, and if so, should I combine sda3 and sda5, OR do I format sda5 and use it as a separate partition? What would be the benefits of each?

I know that was a lot, but thank you for your help and input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Repartition Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by brohan76 View Post
    Hello, I am a Ubuntu and Linux newbie. I apparently know just enough to get myself in trouble. A few weeks ago I shrank my Vista partition in Vista, and then installed Ubuntu 11.10. Today I removed more unnecessary items from Vista, and then shrunk that partition further leaving me 58GB of unallocated space. I then used a 11.10 live CD and GParted for the first time to try and grow the Linux partition. I was unable to figure out how to use the size option to grow the partition, only shrink it. What I ended up inadvertently doing was moving my original 37GB partition (/dev/sda5) to the unallocated 58GB partition. Ubuntu rebooted just fine. When I go to properties of the partition I am booted into for Ubuntu it says I have 51GB free space, leading me to believe that I now boot to the 58GB partition (/dev/sda3).

My question is this - Storage Device Manager shows errors for /dev/sda5. What should I do to /dev/sda5 to rid it of errors, and then what should I do with hit entirely? Is there a way, and if so, should I combine sda3 and sda5, OR do I format sda5 and use it as a separate partition? What would be the benefits of each?

I know that was a lot, but thank you for your help and input.
    You have two partitions with the same UUID being mounted as / (root).

Boot off a Live CD and change the UUID of the partition you don't want to boot from (search for detailed instructions).

Reboot into Ubuntu and do:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Once you are satisfied that your Ubuntu system is working correctly, use gparted to delete the unused partition and then repeat the above command.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way