Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I overcooked rice in a pot, now pot has burnt bottom. Help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I overcooked rice in a pot, now pot has burnt bottom. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I'm not completely sure, but there's definitively a difference. However, once you have removed all the stubborn burnt parts of the rice, I would use the advice of Old_Gray_Wolf/oldsoundguy to completely remove the oxidation. We use hot water and vinegar to remove the oxidisation that happens over time to our kettle.
    Does "removing oxidization" equal getting all the black stuff out and having a perfect pot again?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    My cast iron has not been in soapy water in 50 years. It be FUNKY!! Hot water .. scrub with salt on a sponge .. rinse completely ... put back on the burner on max .. wipe with a paper towel and peanut or olive oil .. bring it to smoke and turn off the burner!
    Yep!

And, I still have two fully functional Presto cookers. They are better than a microwave oven for some things, and just about as fast for something like a roast
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; November 11th, 2011 at 01:44 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Hello,

I was cooking rice (boiling) in a pot. All the moisture ran out and the layer of rice in contact with the pan has turned black. I haven't had the chance to give it a good scrubbing, but i'm worried that I can't get the pot looking like the brand-new condition it is in.

Please help. Can I bring the pot to perfect condition? How?

UPDATE: I'm completely serious about this thread. It was a new pot of a new friend. The pot looked like a pot a professional chef would use: a Lagostina one. The pot looks like brand new. It still had the adhesive sticker on its side. I had just made friends with this person, and I feel really awful about this.
    very-fine sandpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Does "removing oxidization" equal getting all the black stuff out and having a perfect pot again?
    Hopefully...

If I were you I'd try a combination of the advice you've gotten.

1. First remove as much dirt as you can by washing manually with soap and water.
    2. Then leave it overnight in water with a machine-dishwasher detergent (not tablet, but the usual kind)
    3. Use hot water and vinegar on the stains that remain, as suggested above.

(I've never tried lisati's solution, perhaps that'll work as well...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    just pour warm water with detergent in it /before that, remove rice/. leave overnight- than clean it with a hard spounge
    This. My wife eats rice 3 times a day.. Just soak it and it will come loose for the most part then a little soap and water then next day will clean the rest.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

As many have suggested if you leave it to soak over-night with some mild detergent or dishwasher detergent it should come clean. If the rice only burnt a bit it should be fine. If it burnt badly, don't be surprised if the metal is permanently discoloured. In that case there really isn't anything you can do to make it look new again. Clean it as best as you can and apologize profusely. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by ubupirate View Post
    Golden rule of cooking 101: NEVER LEAVE THE STOVE UNATTENDED WHILE IT IS OPERATING.
    But then it never boils. ಠ_ಠ
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    My cast iron has not been in soapy water in 50 years. It be FUNKY!! Hot water .. scrub with salt on a sponge .. rinse completely ... put back on the burner on max .. wipe with a paper towel and peanut or olive oil .. bring it to smoke and turn off the burner!
    one of my past roommates had a bunch of cast iron pans and i remember that procedure vividly. i hate the weight of the things though.

i would let the pans soak in soapy water over night. they should clean fine after that. i'm guessing there will still be some discoloration from like water marks or something, but that's kind of inevitable. the way i would play this off to your friend is to just pretend like nothing abnormal happened if you don't have to talk to your friend until tomorrow, since soaking the pot over night should work. but if you can't hide it and have to explain to your friend why the pot has to soak over night, then just be like "oh, i cooked rice and it's stuck a little." if your friend has cooked rice before, then he/she should understand. don't be like "oh my gosh, i'm so sorry. i made a big mistake" because that's just not true. burning rice is a perfectly normal thing to happen, so you shouldn't blow it out of proportion. if your friend gets angry at you that the pot has to sit over night, then i'm sorry but that's a little ridiculous. it's a pot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Boil some water mixed with baking soda in that pot. That will help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

are all westerns this way? Lol use steelwool, that's what it's there for.
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast