Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO: Backup multimedia with rsync

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Backup multimedia with rsync

Just to update from my last post. I tried syncing from the same desktop to a machine running Intrepid and get the same hard crash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry, no advice for crashes - I'm just learning too.

My question is about performance. I'm seeing if I can use an rsync script that would be triggered when my media device is plugged in. This script would sync my media device and library.

My library (~40GB) is in a CIFS share over a 100MB network connection that is used for very little else.

The first run of rsync took many hours (I gave up and went to bed). Will subsequent runs be quicker? I've just launched a second one after adding a single text file to one of the folders. We'll see how quick this happens. So far it is still indexing at 10 minutes and has only hit the "d" folders, so unless this is abnormal behavior, I don't think rsync will work very well.

Oh, another thing, gtkrsync is a nice way to have a GUI progress bar pop up when rsync is scripted.

So is this kind of performance expected for rsyncing 40GB of data?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Backup in a third folder

Hi!

I want to know if is possible to check the diference between 2 folders and save the file that have been modified to a third one.

Like if I have a Monday folder (with a full backup of my system) and on tuesday night I want a script that compare the content of my data souce (for ex. /fyle-server/*) and save (just the diferences) on the folder Tuesday.

Should be very nice to do this. Please comment this idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Clochard View Post
    My question is about performance. I'm seeing if I can use an rsync script that would be triggered when my media device is plugged in. This script would sync my media device and library.

My library (~40GB) is in a CIFS share over a 100MB network connection that is used for very little else.

The first run of rsync took many hours (I gave up and went to bed). Will subsequent runs be quicker? I've just launched a second one after adding a single text file to one of the folders. We'll see how quick this happens. So far it is still indexing at 10 minutes and has only hit the "d" folders, so unless this is abnormal behavior, I don't think rsync will work very well.

Oh, another thing, gtkrsync is a nice way to have a GUI progress bar pop up when rsync is scripted.

So is this kind of performance expected for rsyncing 40GB of data?
    No, I would expect an incremental rsync backup like this to finish very quickly.

However, I have had trouble with Windows file systems in the past. Somehow the timestamps are incorrect and rsync thinks everything needs to be updated. Therefore, I switched all my disks to ext3.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Backup in a third folder

Quote Originally Posted by any.linux12 View Post
    I want to know if is possible to check the diference between 2 folders and save the file that have been modified to a third one.

Like if I have a Monday folder (with a full backup of my system) and on tuesday night I want a script that compare the content of my data souce (for ex. /fyle-server/*) and save (just the diferences) on the folder Tuesday.
    Code:
    diff monday/ tuesday/ > tuesday/diff.txt
    That will spit out the differences between the two directories, then redirect the output into a text file. I would recommend checking out the man page for diff, it has a lot of nice options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Code:

diff monday/ tuesday/ > tuesday/diff.txt

That will spit out the differences between the two directories, then redirect the output into a text file. I would recommend checking out the man page for diff, it has a lot of nice options.
    It's not quite what I was thinking but it could help
    I will try then I tell you something
    Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234