Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost the internet, could I have turned off the network interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lost the internet, could I have turned off the network interface?

Good job, RedSingularity.

You rock!
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your still out there man?!?!?! Let me send you a PM.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces... postconf: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
    ssh stop/waiting
    ssh start/running, process 13918
    postconf: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
    [ OK ]
    ~$ ping www.google.com
    PING www.l.google.com (72.14.204.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from iad04s01-in-f99.1e100.net (72.14.204.99): icmp_req=1 ttl=52 time=19.0 ms
    64 bytes from iad04s01-in-f99.1e100.net (72.14.204.99): icmp_req=2 ttl=52 time=20.7 ms

And that will do it, thank you very much. I can reach the internet and the network.

So, what switch did I manage to flip when I pressed all keys on the keyboard, I missed it and I am still not sure what exactly happened. I think it was, as docbop mentioned early on, I screwed my routing info. Thankfully you graciously supplied the means to reset or restart the network connections. Unfortunately, there was an incorrect (or deprecated) parameter set in the interfaces file and the network was still partially removed. Do you think that closely resembels what may have happened? I wonder what shortcut keys were pressed to have caused this issue.

As hansdown says before me, "You rock!". If you drink beer and like a good IPA, I'd pour you a cold Hoptical Illusion (Blue Point Brewing) in a frozen glass. I remain grateful, thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am not sure the dropping of the keyboard did anything. Unless of course you had a editor open on a system file when it happened, which I doubt. I wonder if the dropping of the keyboard and internet loss, at the same time, was just a coincidence...?

If you lived in NY, I would take you up on that beer Anyway, I am happy to help!! Glad we got it working.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Really, how odd, so sometimes the internet can just flake out and you have to restart the connections...interesting.

I'm close to Atlantic City about two and a half hours south of NYC, love to buy you a beer sometime, thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello RedSingularity,

This just happened to me once again and I was able to reset it by following the steps you provided in this thread. First I gave myself edit access to the interfaces file and commented everything so it was DHCP. Then I restarting the network connections and was able to ping and connect. Then I edited the file back to the way it was and once again restarted the connections and now I am once again back in business.

Thanks much again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123