Thread: ubuntu on ps3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu on ps3

Im wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of using Ubuntu on the ps3. Also here are some specifics:

1. Can you still play ps3 games using ubuntu as the OS?

2. Can you still use the ps3 network for online gaming?

3. How would I go back to the old ps3 OS if Ubuntu were installed?

4. 32 bit or 64 bit?
    sometimes its our mistakes that make our biggest achievements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: ubuntu on ps3

Sony removed OtherOS functionality from the PS3 over fears it could be used for piracy, or some such reason.

If you have a PS3 that hasn't been updated and still has the feature, you won't be able to play games online because you would need to update to do so (which removes the OtherOS feature). That's the only answer to any of your questions I know.

I wish I tried it out before the feature was removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had Xubuntu installed on my PS3 for a while and loved it, and had it customized and it worked very well. I play PS3 games online, and so when I had to get an update I blindly installed it without giving it a second thought.

It wiped out my "other-OS" and I lost everything I had done. I was pretty upset at Sony for a while, because that was one of the reasons I had gotten a PS3 in the first place, but oh well, I got over it.

If you have no desire to play PS3 games online and connect your PS3 to the Internet with content that requires new updates, then you can install *buntu on it.

I would not recommend it, as a PS3 not updated is in my opinion useless.
    Check out my Youtube channel for some awesome gaming videos, including Dragonforce, "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert Performance Mode from Guitar Hero III. My Youtube Channel

Beans

I read this and are reluctant.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ild-pc/4263321
    although I can see how someone would mistakenly overwrite their buntu because of a gameOS update. I think the updating from file ability would be best. I'm looking to do this dual boot on my ps3 because I have a large amount of HD movies on this computer and the ps3 wont recognize it as a "media server". This 20inch monitor doesn't do these movies justice, rather be playing them on the 65in. I'm wondering if the buntu will recognize the wireless driver on the ps3 because I don't want wires, it's annoying this desktop is wired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you put Ubuntu on a PS3 then the PS3 becomes a computer (just a really powerfull one) So it won't be able to play PS3 games or use any of the PS3 features
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You guys honestly think that there is no way to hack it? thats ridiculous! you can hack anything!