Thread: Keyboard not working on laptop

Beans

Exclamation Keyboard not working on laptop

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 running Natty Narwhal and the other day the wireless stopped working, so I uninstalled the driver, and shut down the computer, a couple days later, I booted up the computer, connected to an ethernet cable and reinstalled the driver, the wireless is working now, but the onboard keyboard and mouse don't work at all. I am positive that the driver is not the problem because I have been using it for almost a year now without any problems of this sort. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Keyboard not working on laptop

There are plenty virtual keyboards programs that are on Ubuntu Software Centre like Caribou or Keyboard.

Beans

I'm aware of that, but I need my keyboard working again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You're talking Linux, right?

Asking because uninstalling a driver in Linux is not a simple matter of opening Device Manager, clicking the Device, and selecting Uninstall.

So, how did you uninstall the driver? Maybe that removed other modules as well -- the ones needed for your keyboard and mouse.

Also, to confirm it's not a hardware problem, I would boot from an Ubuntu desktop CD and confirm that the laptop keyboard and mouse work with that. IF they don't, you likely then have a hardware problem.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I uninstalled a proprietary driver through the additional drivers program. And I am positive that it did not uninstall the keyboard and mouse drivers because I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times in order get the network working again. Good idea with the hardware vs. software problem I'll look.