Thread: Is it possible to virtualize existing Win7 partition into an VM in 11.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is it possible to virtualize existing Win7 partition into an VM in 11.10?

This is a huge, wide-ranging question, and I realize that. However, after some initial searching and digging, I'm curious to find out what others recommend (if it's possible).

Here's what I'd like to do, be able to take my existing Win7, turn it into a VM (whichever tool you'd recommend to use in Ubuntu 11.10) and access/use it within running 11.10 on my Laptop. Both 11.10 and the Win7 partition in question run on my ASUS laptop (for work). I want to be able to stay native into Linux but be able to run everything I have to run for work (which unfortunately, requires me in Win7).

Like I said, I realize this is a huge/sweeping possibility in responses, but I'd like to see what others are recommending I do/try to get this to work (again, if possible).

Thanks all!
    Tantum eruditi sunt liberi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is it possible to virtualize existing Win7 partition into an VM in 11.10?

Didn't read much into it, but might help:
    http://www.softpanorama.org/VM/conve..._virtual.shtml
    01100010011010010111010000101110011011000111100100 1011110100000101110100011011010011010001000011

Beans

Use clonezilla to take clone of your existing drive/partition.

Then create a VM and clone it back into the VM.

That way you have a backup in the image, and also a running copy in your VM for testing.

It is fairly straight forward to achieve.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Brilliant! Thanks lads!
    Tantum eruditi sunt liberi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It *should* be possible (with kvm/libvirt) without having to resort to cloning your partition.

I use virt-manager to create a new VM, then specify the partition that I want to use (/dev/sda3) or possibly just the drive (/dev/sda). If you do use just the drive, then you need to be sure to select windows at the grub menu, if it goes ahead and boots the system you already have running you're filesystem will probably become read-only on you, as filesystems don't like being mounted twice.

That said, I haven't had any luck actually starting windows like this (I can start another instance of ubuntu just fine). I believe my problem is some windows drivers, as when I get part of the way through the boot-process I get a blue screen. With luck you're windows install might be more robust than mine and it would work without issue.

Beans

well yesterday i tried that , but wont work , i use vmware for virtualize an a real partition with w7 , but when load , the windows say something related with drivers problems and sistem problems :/