Thread: wireless not working

Beans

wireless not working

I am just biginner at ubuntu 10.10 .I have dell vostro 1540 notebook my wireless is not working in ubuntu .How this problem can overcome?

Beans

Re: wireless not working

What is your wireless card model ? If you don't know you can find out by entering this in your terminal :

lspci

and checking the output of 'Network Controller' entry .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

the wireless on this machine is BCM4313 802.11b/g/n

the said machine has CERTIFIED FOR 10.10 32bit status pre installed.

First check for additional drivers in system/admin/additional drivers. Two should show up, try bcm first and STA if that dosnt work to your satisfaction after reboot.

alternatively you could try these commands, one line at a time in the terminal;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

sudo reboot
    There is also the option to upgrade to Natty where this wireless chip is supported without issue or go to the dell site and get their driver version.
    Toshiba AMD64 2Ghz, 4Gb RAM: dual Natty/win7. Dell Mini10v: 10.04. SamsungN140:win7/11.04. NB200:10.10.
    ++ desktops P4 3Ghz ++ servers
    Full Circle Magazine | Ubuntu Pocket Guide | HantsLUG

Beans

Thanks for your valuable reply

I tried to connect by ethernet but it aly wso not working can you send me link by which i download package for wireless and ethernet.
    Hope i will get good suggestion.

Beans

My set is broadcom 4311 , so what worked for me might work for you too : here's what I did ....

You will have to install b43-fwcutter and patch packages. After that you will need to setup firmware manually (without the firmware automatically downloading and being set up).

b43-fwcutter is located on the Ubuntu install cd under ../pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/ and patch is located under ../pool/main/p/patch/ or both in the official repositories online.

Double click on the package to install or in a terminal navigate to the folder containing the package and issue the following command:

:/b43-fwcutter/$ sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*

Step 1.

On a computer with Internet access, download the required firmware files from http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o and http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...0.10.5.tar.bz2

Step 2.

Copy the downloaded files to your home folder and execute the following commands consecutively in a terminal to extract and install the firmware:

~$ tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    ~$ sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
    ~$ sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o

Note: A computer restart may be required before using the wifi card.

Beans

hi blad4 I followed your suggestion .I installed b43-fwcutter from CD.i downloded two package which you define in link . When i wrote above code in gnome terminal then first and third has executed but in second ( sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o) then the out was wl file cannot open. when check list of all file by typing ls b43-fwcutter then i did not find this file .My problem is not solved yet . Hope it will solved very soon my eathernet and wireless is not working yet .
    thanks And waiting for your reply

Beans

for this wireless device -BCM4313 you need to actvate the Broadcom-STA driver in "additional drivers", and to blacklist the following modules: (In terminal)

echo "blacklist bcma" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo "blacklist brcm80211" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo "blacklist brcmsmac" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Reboot after that

Sorry, reread the post, ignore since you are using 10.10 these instructions are for 11.10
    Last edited by bkratz; November 13th, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Mistake

Beans

Hi Ashok , I notice that you didn't mention installing the patch package . If you didn't , try installing that and then go for the codes in the terminal . If you did , well then I'm stumped for now .... will get back to you on this .

Beans

Thanks blade4 .For a long time I was busy in my exam preparation .I have installed this package successfully . . .