Thread: I broke my system by taking ownership of the root directory. Help needed.

Beans

I broke my system by taking ownership of the root directory. Help needed.

i have root account activated.i have taken ownership of / directory(root) as shivam and group shivam.how to undo this.i am unable to use graphical login.(ubuntu 11.10).violet screen still appears
    Last edited by philinux; November 8th, 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Title changed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: serious security flaw

Did you chown / ? Is that what you mean by take ownership or are you just logged in as root.

If you just logged in as root, log out and log in as a normal user

The documentation here can help you disable your root account again : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: serious security flaw

Quote Originally Posted by kshivamaurya View Post
    i have root account activated.i have taken ownership of / directory(root) as shivam and group shivam.how to undo this.i am unable to use graphical login.(ubuntu 11.10).violet screen still appears
    Moved to general help.

This is not a security thread nor is it a "serious security flaw", it is you running as root (which is not advised) and making changes to your system without understanding what you are doing.

You will need to boot a live CD, mount your root partition, and chown / back to root.

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt #chande "sda1" to your ubuntu partition
    chown root.root /mnt
    If that fails you can try to boot to recovery mode , but it may fail as ownership of / is off, and in that case you will need to re-install.

Please read the rootsudo link you were given and do some reading before you go editing or changing ownership of system files.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I broke my system by taking ownership of the root directory. Help needed.

Thread title changed.

Beans

Re: I broke my system by taking ownership of the root directory. Help needed.

I broke my system too, typing random combinations su <commands>, su <username> commands, sudo <commands> (I was trying to share a folder). I should have read the man files too, but luckily Oneiric Ocelot fixed itself using recovery mode, still did not know what I was doing. Nearly 4th time reinstalling, but this time too many files on disk.