6 17.65%
  • No, this is standard practice for open source

10 29.41%
  • No, this is the proce of success

4 11.76%
  • Other (please describe)

1 2.94%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mono removed from 12.04, developers not told?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mono removed from 12.04, developers not told?

Just curious, but does anyone actually like Banshee?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you really need it... Like you need air, water, food etc. You can install it.

Beans

I really don't see the issue. it's not like Canonical banned Banshee from the repos. it's still right there, and is a single 20-second command away. The users who liked it will just download the bloody thing. I understand it can be seen as an insult to be dumped from the default, but it's not like it's going to reduce their relevance or userbase.

This is one place where i like some other, somewhat less popular Distros, who don't even include an X server by default (Arch).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    Why the inequality? Use what works for you. I use Linux because of things that are right with it, not because of things that are wrong with Windows.

Beans

It appears that most of the "miscommunication'" arose because Canonical didn't set out to kick Banshee out of the default install; instead, it just kind of happened at the UDS. Since it was reported as it unfolded, there wasn't any time to tell the developers prior to it happening.

If a historian or economist looked at this, he or she would consider this an example of a cyclical majority. The theory would suggest the following scenario:

The UDS is democratic, at least w/r/t what packages get included in the default install. The question of default media player is something that seems to come up at each UDS. Over time, proponents of Banshee increased their participation, which increased their influence. Once they finally triumphed, there was not as much of an incentive to continue to participate in each UDS. As their numbers dropped, their influence dropped, and the pendulum swung back in favor of Rhythmbox. This is not a surprising result, and it doesn't require any ill will or bad actions on behalf of Canonical.

You want Ubuntu to be more stable w/r/t the packages it includes in the default installation? Insist that Canonical makes decisions on its own, without any community involvement at all. As long as there is community involvement, you can expect these kinds of swings in the decisions made, and it's silly to assert that Canonical did something wrong here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think the point is not that they removed banshee or mono...but that they didn't warn the developers, which if more information is available would be nice.
    User:To friend or not to friend--that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler to take an arrow to the knee or to suffer
    the slights and add's of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of trolls And by opposing feed them. www.evicsis.com

Beans

And again, how would they?

It wasn't Canonical's decision. At least not directly. Are they supposed to be mind readers and sooth sayers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

snail mail, email, im, irc, facebook, a phone call, skype, radio transmission (if any of the developers operates a radio),

or maybe the contact section of the banshee webpage
    http://banshee.fm/about/contact/
    ????
    User:To friend or not to friend--that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler to take an arrow to the knee or to suffer
    the slights and add's of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of trolls And by opposing feed them. www.evicsis.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Again, it's not a done deal. It's a discussion that's going on.

I'd thought the GTK2 / GTK3 issue might be a part of it after noticing that Rhythmbox was GKT3 in 11.10. Looks like that goes a bit farther than I'd expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85
    Just curious, but does anyone actually like Banshee?
    Frankly, they're fairly interchangeable. Rhythmbox is more stable and marginally less attractive to some folks' tastes, and Banshee has better plugin support and ripping. I like Banshee a little more overall, particularly for its brilliant handling of podcasts, but I actually don't care for its looks, and I hate that it lacks typehead navigation (like, type a bit of the song's name to jump to it.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234