Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 fresh install gets stuck at Checking Battery State

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Talking [Solved] 11.10 fresh install gets stuck at Checking Battery State

I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 on my Desktop computer. The install seemed to go smoothly. But after the computer rebooted, and I saw Grub (because I also have Windows as an option), and then the purple screen, and then it drops me into this terminal thingy with some text showing the processes that it's starting up, and the last thing it printed was:
    Checking battery state... [OK]
    _

And then it gets stuck, with the cursor still flashing.
    I have noticed that I can drop into a usable terminal by doing the Ctrl+Alt+F1-6, and I can login and do terminal stuff, but display 7 never gets past the battery state to see the lovely login screen and such...

Reminder, this is a Desktop, so it doesn't even have a battery (aside from the cmos) - although I don't think that matters, since it says [OK] meaning it got past the battery thing and got stuck at whatever's next. I had 11.10 working on it very recently, but did a wipe and reinstall in order to fix some sound issues that the LiveCD had no issue with -- and now this.

Things I've tried:
    Install 'ubuntu-desktop'. Already installed. Reinstall did nothing.
    Reformat and reinstall Ubuntu. Same problem.
    Reboot several times. Same problem each time.

I'm totally stuck, and need some help. I can't boot Ubuntu, so I'm stuck booting into Windows or LiveCD.

-=- Solved -=-
    For the solution that worked for me, please see reply #9 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post11432398)
    Last edited by IsmAvatar; November 8th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 11.10 fresh install gets stuck at Checking Battery State

Is the cursor flashing on a totally black screen? If so, do you have an Nvidia card? You may need to install the driver.

At the grub menu (hold down the SHIFT key during boot if it doesn't appear), highlight the top entry.
    Press 'e' to edit the menuentry.
    Cursor to the end of the 'linux' line. Remove "quiet splash" and add "nomodeset".
    CTRL-x to boot.

If it boots to the Desktop, press the DASH Home button (upper left) and begin to type "Additional Drivers" until it appears.

Try installing the applicable video driver.
    (This may work for other missing video card manufacturers as well).
    Last edited by drs305; November 6th, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Is the cursor flashing on a totally black screen? If so, do you have an Nvidia card? You may need to install the driver.

At the grub menu (hold down the SHIFT key during boot if it doesn't appear), highlight the top entry.
    Press 'e' to edit the menuentry.
    Cursor to the end of the 'linux' line. Remove "quiet splash" and add "nomodeset".
    CTRL-x to boot.

If it boots to the Desktop, press the DASH Home button (upper left) and begin to type "Additional Drivers" until it appears.

Try installing the applicable video driver.
    (This may work for other missing video card manufacturers as well).
    +1 on that... Only thing to add is if you have an ATI Radeon for video, the software repository is not on at a default...

Edit the sources.list:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Go down to where it says "Conical Partners" and take out the comment "#" characters. Save and exit.

The section will look similar to this:
    ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
    ## 'partner' repository.
    ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
    ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
    # deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
    # deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
    Except that it'll say "onieric" instead of "precise."

If you have ATI Radeon and need the fglrx driver, that driver won't show up in Additional driver unless you uncomment those 2 lines.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 6th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry I didn't respond so quickly.

I have an NVidia Geforce 8500.

The screen is mostly black, except the top third of the screen has some text of processes that started up, ending with "Checking battery state". After that, there is a blinking cursor.

I'm going to try your suggestion now and will report back on whether it works or not.

Beans
    Distro

drs305: I have tried your suggestion and edited the entry, replacing "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" and then continued with boot using Ctrl+X. It proceeded to the purple screen, and then the black screen with several lines of text ending with "Checking battery state" and the flashing cursor, and then did not proceed any further.

In summary, unfortunately that did not fix it, and I'm still having the same issue. I do greatly appreciate you guys trying to help me, and I'll be so happy once this works again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IsmAvatar View Post
    In summary, unfortunately that did not fix it, and I'm still having the same issue. I do greatly appreciate you guys trying to help me, and I'll be so happy once this works again.
    If you can boot the Recovery mode to a command line you can try installing the video drivers manually to see if that fixes things. Select 'root prompt' or 'netroot' and at the command prompt (not the Grub prompt):
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings*
    If you can't do that, or it doesn't work, the only other suggestion I have at the moment would be to try the 'nomodeset' option but instead try some other kernel options such as "noapci noloapic acpi=off".
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had the same thing happen when I ran the update. After hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1, I signed in and entered 'startx' at the command line. The GUI loaded (a bit crude with base graphics but it worked) and from there I could run the software update, which then loaded everything I needed. Another reboot and I was good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This may possibly not be related, but I had the same problem, only with me it was the huge sizes of logfiles in this version, they inflated to multiple Gs. Check the sizes of the files in /var/log, particularly syslog and kernlog. I deleted these files and could then boot to the desktop, and then enabled compression of these files, and now everything works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IsmAvatar View Post
    drs305: I have tried your suggestion and edited the entry, replacing "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" and then continued with boot using Ctrl+X. It proceeded to the purple screen, and then the black screen with several lines of text ending with "Checking battery state" and the flashing cursor, and then did not proceed any further.

Do the same in the grub menu as before, except-- replace "quiet splash" with "--verbose single". It may go to a rescue screen, where you will press resume boot... It will drop you down to a command line prompt.

First lwhile we are able, find out some info on your Video
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA

With the card you had, the nomodeset boot option should have worked, since it didn't, theres other things going on. So I'm going to tell you how to get around them...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-* 
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r' 
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current   
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo apt-get update
    echo options nouveau modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf
    echo RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia" > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-modprobe.rules
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    sudo reboot
    And test.

What all that does, is removes any previous instances of the nvidia driver or it's pieces, makes sure there is a header file there, installs the driver and configures it. It then it straightens out the load order of the files, while updating that to that initial loading image file.

Tell me how it goes.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 6th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro

Lspci returns this:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] [10de:0421] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G79 [GeForce 9200] [10de:086d] (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

The latter is my chipset gpu. I have the prior plugged in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast