Thread: Linux on my iPod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux on my iPod

Ahoy oh wise Ubuntu users. My iPod (classic 6th gen.) is fairly surely heading down hill. I'm having sync issues, and occasionally just plugging it in causes my PC to crash (dual booting 11.04 and Win 7 here, so all iPod stuff is done with native iTunes in Windows environment). I'm interested in getting a Linux distort set up on my iPod, and am just wondering if there is anything out there with compatibility with my iPod? I've briefly checked out iPodonlinux, but it doesn't seem to have compatibility with 6th gen. iPods. Does anyone know of a software that could help me out?
    Much appreciated.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans

Re: Linux on my iPod

iPodLinux is dead, you should have a look at Rockbox but that supports al iPods except 6th generation..
    The crashing is a little odd, it might mean your iPod has bad sectors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cheers Glenn nl. I've just taken a look at Rockbox, it seems I can install that if I go through EMCore. Has anyone tried rutting Linux on their iPod? And specifically, if I fudge everything up, would I be able to restore it to factory settings (i.e. iOS)? Cheers!
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans

I haven't installed this on my ipod yet but have read through the wiki for Rockbox. It gives instructions on how to Uninstall there which seem quite easy.