Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 on Asus k53v

Beans

Re: 11.10 on Asus k53v

Quote Originally Posted by adraniel View Post
    You mean exactly?
    You said
    Ironhide Bumblebee works best for this laptop...
    So I wonder whether it's Bumblebee or Ironhide?
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    You said

So I wonder whether it's Bumblebee or Ironhide?
    Excuse the expression, I'm not English.
    Ironhide works best for this laptop, it is all in perfect order.

A greeting friend.

Beans

Excuse the expression, I'm not English.
    Ironhide works best for this laptop, it is all in perfect order.

A greeting friend.
    Thanks a lot!
    ASUS K53S Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
    ASUS 1015PX Netbook Lubuntu 14.10
    Two Dell laptops with 14.04

Beans

Re: 11.10 on Asus K53SV

New Bumblebee version 3.0 is working out of box. Thanks to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

For my ASUS K53SV netbook, (NVIDIA GT540M) it is a great power saving too.

With default Ubuntu 11.10 installation, my power consumption was nearly 30~32 W (battery life ~ 1hr and 50 minutes). I managed to cut it down to 22 W with some kernel options before boot using this (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15_power&num=1).
    But Still the battery was lasting hardly for 2hr and 40 minutes at even 20% screen brightness.

I installed today Bumblebee 3.0, (had never tried it in past, nor did for Ironhide). After installation and reboot it came down to 12W consumption. Battery is now reading 4 hr and 40 minutes, and mind that the display brightness is at 50%.

I don't use any power tweaks (No Powetop/Jupiter or anything similar).
    Only used
    Default Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit installation
    + Kernel Options(GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force")
    + Bumblebee 3.0

I have tested some of the games on wine, which are working fine with bumblebee "optirum wine yourgame" command.

ONLY Bumblebee has managed to calm down my discrete NVIDIA card, which was by default always ON in my default Ubuntu 11.10 installation, and was consuming alone 10 W of power, cutting my battery down by 2 hours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sbnwl View Post
    New Bumblebee version 3.0 is working out of box. Thanks to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

With default Ubuntu 11.10 installation, my power consumption was nearly 30~32 W (battery life ~ 1hr and 50 minutes). I managed to cut it down to 22 W with some kernel options before boot using this (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15_power&num=1).
    But Still the battery was lasting hardly for 2hr and 40 minutes at even 20% screen brightness.

I installed today Bumblebee 3.0, (had never tried it in past, nor did for Ironhide). After installation and reboot it came down to 12W consumption. Battery is now reading 4 hr and 40 minutes, and mind that the display brightness is at 50%.

Only used
    + Kernel Options(GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force")
    + Bumblebee 3.0

I have tested some of the games on wine, which are working fine with bumblebee "optirum wine yourgame" command.

ONLY Bumblebee has managed to calm down my discrete NVIDIA card, which was by default always ON in my default Ubuntu 11.10 installation, and was consuming alone 10 W of power, cutting my battery down by 2 hours.

Thanks for the information you have given.
    I've helped a lot but I have a little problem and I would like you to help me a little more, especially since I have the same laptop that you have.
    Could you put all the steps you took please?

A greeting, thanks.

Beans

@adraniel
    Could you put all the steps you took please?
    Just let me know regarding exactly what? Installation of Bumblebee or the kernel options? Both are different matters from each other.
    Last edited by sbnwl; March 8th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

Only used
    + Bumblebee 3.0

12 watts? WOW that's still high, install Jupiter.. With the NVIDIA off, you might see it drop to 6 or 7.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

@fuduntu
    12 watts? WOW that's still high, install Jupiter.. With the NVIDIA off, you might see it drop to 6 or 7.
    You know what 7 watts mean? It's a dream thing!!! 7 watts would mean (56 Wh) /(7 W) = 8 hours of battery life.
    I have not even heard of this much for this machine on any site or blog. If you are sure enough, then I will give it a try to Jupiter. Won't Jupiter settings conflict with "optirun myapp" command? What you say?
    Last edited by sbnwl; March 8th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    OKAY Installed Jupiter from webupd8. Not a small bit of difference. Jupiter is not helping, still at 12 Watts.

OKAY Installed Jupiter from webupd8. Not a small bit of difference. Jupiter is not helping, still at 12 Watts.
    It'll help, it just isn't immediately obvious. Especially if the machine is very busy.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast