Thread: Wireless doesn't work when computer screen icon appears

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red face Wireless doesn't work when computer screen icon appears

Hello!

My father's computer, which runs on Ubuntu 11.04 (with Gnome 2), has been having this quite odd problem lately.

The wireless had always functioned on this computer. However, one day, it didn't, it just stopped. We noticed that the wireless icon in the upper right had transformed into an other icon : a small computer screen with the same wireless icon inside of it (see attached picture).

We soon realised that whenever that icon was there, and it was each time the computer opened up, the wireless didn't work, I haven't tried wired connection, because it's downstairs, and it's inconvenient.

It took very little time before my little brother found a weird workaround, as he always does, for the problem in question. But we have to effectuate the maneuver every time the computer boots. It is terribly annoying, because my brother is the only one who actually remembers it.

Here it is :

1- Click on the computer/wireless icon and select disconnect.
    2- Turn off the wireless switch on the computer's right flank. Turn it back on right away.
    3- Wait about 30 seconds for the wireless network to appear in the left-click-list.
    4- Click it. The wireless should work (the original wireless icon is back in business).

Now how can we get it back like normal, without the harassment of doing the above steps every now and then. My father points out that it's now more convenient to use the Windows partition.

Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Wireless doesn't work when computer screen icon appears

Bump?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Wireless doesn't work when computer screen icon appears

Never mind, we have decided to trade in this problem for every problem that 11.10 and its new desktop brings! We "upgraded".