Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    9

    Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Does anyone know how to enable start menu search functionality in Lubuntu 11.10 ? Idea is to get it working similarly to how it works in Mint or Kubuntu (start menu should have some search textbox which would list matching apps or other stuff as you type). Can this be done ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    apt-get
    Beans
    4,280
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyhjyydesta View Post
    Does anyone know how to enable start menu search functionality in Lubuntu 11.10 ? Idea is to get it working similarly to how it works in Mint or Kubuntu (start menu should have some search textbox which would list matching apps or other stuff as you type). Can this be done ?
    Hello and Welcome

    Please check my signature > Lubuntu One Stop Thread > Section C > #2 > Here

    Unfortunately, Lubuntu doesn't have Search Function by default.

    If you want something similar to Unity then I'm not sure if that even possible on LXDE/Lubuntu, haven't checked that yet. It's not needed though because the default apps in Lubuntu is less than Ubuntu.
    Last edited by amjjawad; November 5th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Thanks, actually I am looking for alternatives because I despise Unity. At the same time I am used to search menu functionality from Win 7 and Kubuntu. I know I can use the "run" option which does almost the same thing I want but it requires more mouse clicks so it's impractical unless I use it with key shortcut which I am not used to do. (Besides I think that to have it integrated in menu search is nicer / easier to use) Example of how it could look is Mint start menu with search field http://www.thinkdigit.com/FCKeditor/...20overview.png. I was told that it was possible to change ubuntu classical gnome menu to look like mint menu therefore I was interested if the same can be done with Lubuntu. I am new to Linux so maybe my perspective of looking at thing is too "Windowish", but I don't understand why one wouldn't want an incremental search in menu start - it has been with widnows for so many years and Mint, Kubutnu, Unity have it as well. On the plus side I have to admit that new Lubuntu 11.10 looks very nice and clean - I have to wait till I have a chance to test it outside of virtualbox, but if it proves to be as snappy as it is supposed to be I might be tempted to switch to it over Kubuntu. (Kubuntu is ok but even on powerful CPU/GPU combo it somehow doesn't feel as snappy as Win7 on the same hardware)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    apt-get
    Beans
    4,280
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Believe me, I see your point and I know where are you coming from but I hope you understand one simple fact which is in LXDE or Lubuntu (to be more accurate), you don't really need that because your options are less, your applications are less and it's lightweight OS without all the fancy stuff on other OS's.

    Windows is Windows. Ubuntu is Ubuntu. Mint is Mint. Lubuntu is Lubuntu.
    Have you checked www.distrowatch.com? please have a look and I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about. ALL these Distributions you are seeing share one thing: The Kernel which is Linux. However, each one has its own feature which make it different than the other even if it's a simple tiny thing.

    The Screenshot you provided is for Mint GNOME not LXDE. LXDE Menu is much simpler
    With such simple menu, you don't need that function/feature. However, having it would be nice but also pointless if you ask me
    Mint is very nice and I like it but yet again, it has some stuff that I don't really need.
    Lubuntu meets most if not all my needs. I'm now more into simple and light stuff.

    Kubuntu is not my cup of tea. I dislike KDE because it keeps reminding me of Windows. For me, I had enough from Windows. My 6+ years PC (P4 with 512MB RAM) runs MUCH faster than HP Pavilion DV6 with Core i5 and 4GB RAM which has Windows 7.

    Linux is not Windows. An amazing article that you'll find it on my Lubuntu One Stop Thread - please see my signature.
    I strongly advice you to read it. It simple changed lots of things in me

    In Linux, you are free to choose and use whatever works for you and meet your needs.
    I've seen many approaches here. Some prefer the high end features like Unity and Kubuntu. Some go in between and choose GNOME 2.x (which is not supported any more - used to love it) and XFCE (yes, it's not as light as what most of people really think). Some other prefer LXDE (Lubuntu is just one OS that is using LXDE). Some prefer to build their own OS thus Arch which is for advanced users not for beginners as their website states that. And there are lots of other choices.

    By time, you'll understand all that.

    I have downloaded more than 60 Linux Distributions and I had 9 OS's installed on one HDD. I've tried as much as I can and now, I'm happy with Lubuntu. Who knows? maybe by time, I could find a better option than Lubuntu and LXDE? I don't know, it depends but as long as I'm doing my best to improve the OS that I love, I'll keep using it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    9

    Talking Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Linux is not Windows. An amazing article that you'll find it on my Lubuntu One Stop Thread - please see my signature.
    I strongly advice you to read it. It simple changed lots of things in me
    Interesting article, in that context I see the menu problem falling under "convergent evolution" - over time some features that were previously considered non-priority will become essential - or defacto standard - when they are proven beyond any doubt useful (e.g. like tabbed browsing has become essential on any major desktop browser or ability to have Window based UI on any major desktop OS) My point from beginning was that sooner or later all major OSes will have incremental search start menu (although I know you will disagree with me - I just think that this extra feature improves usability and could be added into Lubuntu even today without violating philosophy of simplicity or "purity" of the design)

    Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    in LXDE or Lubuntu (to be more accurate), you don't really need that because your options are less, your applications are less and it's lightweight OS without all the fancy stuff on other OS's.
    Now I had a chance to install on physical disk and here are my impressions: I generally like the idea of simplicity - but there are few things which are maybe too simple there:

    1.) please, is there a way how to resize menu and taskbar with all the icons ? The default width of 24 pixels seems to be completely out of line for resolutions like 1920x1080 - in other words it is too small - almost too hard to see. If I try to change width of bar it will scale the icons but the bar its self isn't scaled - instead new rows are inserted to fill the new space (is this a bug) ? Also resize of taskbar doesn't have any effect on the start menu

    2.) unlike any other linux dist. I've tried - lubuntu can not play sound on my PC. This is probably due to fact that it makes some nvidia hdmi audio as default isntead of my USB DAC which is the one I actually use (just guessing from how the other distros were trying to do the same thing). However while other distros I've tried had similar problem I could always select the correct sound card using their GUI based configuration tools. Lubuntu doesn't allow me to do that. I can not configure sound settings using GUI although there is a speaker icon in the tray. So it looks like lubuntu developers wanted users to be able to change 'some' sound related settings with it, they've just "forgot" to include the most important part of it (at least for users with multiple sound cards) - making sure, the correct card is selected. If the GUI would be intended to work only for systems with single sound card by design (to favor simplicity) - than that I would consider to be a very strange desing choice. I don't think that unability to select sound card in gui makes the gui more 'clean' in any way. (so far I haven't been able to solve this by console but I keep searching)

    3.) mouse acceleration setting in GUI can be change to minimum of 10 - it won't allow you to go below that. And at 10 the acceleration is still severely annoying. All other ubuntu based distribution I've tried allow you to go much lower. While this is relatively easily fixed by few minutes of googling and messing with console - it is again a very strange design choice (why to build a GUI around setting some parameter when it won't allow to set all legal values of the parameter ?)

    4.) The default cursor is really ugly - maybe a minor thing, but it concerns me on the principial level (not because it would be too difficult to change it) - it looks like a cursor from win 3.11 Yet rest of the graphics (default icons, default desktop theme etc.) are light years from Win 3.11 So it's like you have that beautiful work of art GUI and "ruin" it by some totally non-matching spartan looking cursor. It just doesn't make sense. I am sure that using a 24bit cursor in the spirit of rest of the artwork would have close to zero impact on performance or memory footprint.

    5.) One more thing that I have remembered - nice to have feature - dragging maximalized window by its title bar should "unmaximalize" it. Don't know if it's just some setting I am missing in settings, but similar feature works on almost all OSes that I've ever tried (as far as I can remember) - by default


    Other than that my first impressions are positive, if I could workaround the small taskbar + menu and no sound problem (which are both show stoppers for me - I really hope they can be overcome) I think I could really start liking it. And it's really FAST. I think most of the time booting it spends checking my optical drive, once it starts loading it's like "blink" and I am in desktop Draging of windows / resizing / alt tabbing etc. super smooth on a 120 Hz screen. (something quite difficult to achieve with KDE)
    Last edited by tyhjyydesta; November 9th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    apt-get
    Beans
    4,280
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    I see you have many Questions/Notes and I'm on hurry now so I'll get back to you ASAP

    Don't worry, I'm not running away

    P.S.
    Could you please Edit your last post and make it more readable? some spaces between paragraphs would be great

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Thanks, edited it a bit. Take your time as needed - it doesn't have to be ASAP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Down Under
    Beans
    1,565
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    1.) please, is there a way how to resize menu and taskbar with all the icons ? The default width of 24 pixels seems to be completely out of line for resolutions like 1920x1080 - in other words it is too small - almost too hard to see. If I try to change width of bar it will scale the icons but the bar its self isn't scaled - instead new rows are inserted to fill the new space (is this a bug) ? Also resize of taskbar doesn't have any effect on the start menu
    I can help with question 1 , 2 and 5. Hopefully others can help with the other questions.

    Right click on the panel and select 'Panel Settings'
    there you can resize, see screenshot below.
    This Screencast has many good tips on resizing

    Question 2 see this Screencast

    Question 5 If you double click on the tile bar it will maximise and un-maximise, also if you left click, you get other options.

    I like the cursor, I think it fits with the simplicity of the OS.
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
    Rodney

    Many other helpful Sceencasts here - http://goo.gl/VkQf1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodney9; November 9th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    apt-get
    Beans
    4,280
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyhjyydesta View Post
    My point from beginning was that sooner or later all major OSes will have incremental search start menu (although I know you will disagree with me - I just think that this extra feature improves usability and could be added into Lubuntu even today without violating philosophy of simplicity or "purity" of the design)
    Disagreeing with someone isn't too bad IMHO. Life would be so boring and with very limited options if everyone will agree with the other.

    Perhaps I'm old style type of guy, perhaps when I moved from Windows to Ubuntu then from Ubuntu to Lubuntu, I became more into simplicity. Two of the most things that made me love simplicity in Linux are:
    SliTaz - Have installed it and tried it - 30MB OS that has almost everything, except the driver of my Wireless Adapter

    Arch Website - Didn't try Arch, just installed ArchBang recently but I have read many pages on Arch Website. Have a look at their philosophy.

    Now I had a chance to install on physical disk and here are my impressions: I generally like the idea of simplicity
    That is great to know!

    1.) please, is there a way how to resize menu and taskbar with all the icons ? The default width of 24 pixels seems to be completely out of line for resolutions like 1920x1080 - in other words it is too small - almost too hard to see. If I try to change width of bar it will scale the icons but the bar its self isn't scaled - instead new rows are inserted to fill the new space (is this a bug) ? Also resize of taskbar doesn't have any effect on the start menu
    Start Menu and Task Bar = Windows != Linux

    I'm not sure about resizing the Menu because I don't use such high resolution and honestly don't have enough time to search for that.
    As for the LXPanel:
    Right click on the LXPanel > Panel Settings > Appearance Tab > There are 3 options, the default is Image.

    If you increase the hight of the LXPanel, it will look ugly. To fix that, just don't choose "Image" from Appearance.




    What is the size of your screen?


    2.) unlike any other linux dist. I've tried - lubuntu can not play sound on my PC. This is probably due to fact that it makes some nvidia hdmi audio as default isntead of my USB DAC which is the one I actually use (just guessing from how the other distros were trying to do the same thing). However while other distros I've tried had similar problem I could always select the correct sound card using their GUI based configuration tools. Lubuntu doesn't allow me to do that. I can not configure sound settings using GUI although there is a speaker icon in the tray. So it looks like lubuntu developers wanted users to be able to change 'some' sound related settings with it, they've just "forgot" to include the most important part of it (at least for users with multiple sound cards) - making sure, the correct card is selected. If the GUI would be intended to work only for systems with single sound card by design (to favor simplicity) - than that I would consider to be a very strange desing choice. I don't think that unability to select sound card in gui makes the gui more 'clean' in any way. (so far I haven't been able to solve this by console but I keep searching)
    Hope you will not get me wrong and I'm sorry if that might sound rude but I don't mean to. Please, try to understand that "sometimes", a Linux Distribution will NOT work out-of-the box for you. For me, it does but for some other, it does not.
    Being here for almost two years, I'm sure about this .
    From LXTerminal, please run:

    Code:
    sudo lshw -C sound
    Mine looks like this:

    Code:
    *-multimedia            
           description: Audio device
           product: N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 1b
           bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
           version: 01
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
           configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
           resources: irq:42 memory:e02c0000-e02c3fff
    Please post the output here but make sure to wrap up the text with CODE Tags:




    3.) mouse acceleration setting in GUI can be change to minimum of 10 - it won't allow you to go below that. And at 10 the acceleration is still severely annoying. All other ubuntu based distribution I've tried allow you to go much lower. While this is relatively easily fixed by few minutes of googling and messing with console - it is again a very strange design choice (why to build a GUI around setting some parameter when it won't allow to set all legal values of the parameter ?)
    I'm not a developer and I do hate Programming, even though I have BSc in Computer Science but this is me. However, I'm in love with Operating Systems since University days.
    I'm not going to start that discussion about design and such type of talk but as long as there is another way to do anything, I wouldn't worry at all. When should I start to worry? when I can't find any way to do anything I want to do, at that time, I'll start to worry and think about another choice.

    I've seen people who are ready to switch OS just because they couldn't spend 5 mins searching for an alternative way to do something so simple. No, I'm not kidding. Too much choices over there so one can pick whatever "easier" for him/her.
    On the other hand, I've seen people who made a choice and stick with it for so long and were able to do whatever they want.
    Linux is very flexible, more than what we could really imagine.

    Again, I'm sorry that I don't have time to search how to decrease that 10 to something lower. However, if you did a search and couldn't find anything, please let me know and I'll get you the answer.

    4.) The default cursor is really ugly - maybe a minor thing, but it concerns me on the principial level (not because it would be too difficult to change it) - it looks like a cursor from win 3.11 Yet rest of the graphics (default icons, default desktop theme etc.) are light years from Win 3.11 So it's like you have that beautiful work of art GUI and "ruin" it by some totally non-matching spartan looking cursor. It just doesn't make sense. I am sure that using a 24bit cursor in the spirit of rest of the artwork would have close to zero impact on performance or memory footprint.
    This is your opinion, I totally respect it. However, I'm sorry, not too sure how to help in here
    For me, I don't have ANY problem with that. If I want fancy cursors, I would simply move on to another fancy distribution.
    I'm happy with Lubuntu as it is. I just need something fast and stable and I don't care whether the cursor looks ugly or not.
    I'm sure there are many ways to change it but I wouldn't even wasted my time over that.

    It sounds like a feedback more than a problem so nothing actually I can do here

    However, there is a thread for Lubuntu 12.04 (please check Lubuntu One Stop Thread and get the link). If you are interested, you could write your suggestions for the coming release.


    5.) One more thing that I have remembered - nice to have feature - dragging maximalized window by its title bar should "unmaximalize" it. Don't know if it's just some setting I am missing in settings, but similar feature works on almost all OSes that I've ever tried (as far as I can remember) - by default
    Not too sure what do you mean here???

    And it's really FAST. I think most of the time booting it spends checking my optical drive, once it starts loading it's like "blink" and I am in desktop
    That is the answer of some of your above questions. If Lubuntu Team will follow Ubuntu's Steps and look after "how it looks" not "how it works" then it wouldn't be fast and I would be the first one who will move on to another OS

    That's called trade-off. You drop something to get something else in return. This concept does exist in real life too. You can't get all what you want or wish, right? nothing is perfect, I'm afraid.

    Draging of windows / resizing / alt tabbing etc. super smooth on a 120 Hz screen. (something quite difficult to achieve with KDE)
    Thanks to Lubutnu

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Lubuntu 11.10 start menu search functionality ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    I can help with question 1 , 2 and 5
    Thanks, sadly I was not successful with following the guides

    1. Is the icon bar on the left of your attached picture actually a new panel (added via context menu ?) As I said previously I was trying to change height of the task panel but it wouldn't scale the row its self but it would instead insert new rows (at the same time I could scale the panel's icons without problems). Also the start menu is not affected by change of icon size in the task panel. Please have a look on my attached image to see what I mean

    2. Just to be sure I tried even reinstalling 11.10 and running alsamixer from clean install (as to revert any potential damage I could have done while troubleshooting the problem previously) and with clean install it only shows Nvidia HD something... (as a default) and Digi USB Audio (as device 2). When I change to device 2 there is no playback item called "master" - it only shows PCM and there is no audible sound output (when I start an audio player it complains on absence of sound mixer). Clearly I was mistaken when thinking it's a simple default incorrect device order problem. Yet when lubuntu starts I can hear short "crackling" sound in headphones which typically indicates the sound card was just initialized. I have no idea what else can I do ? Maybe a good approach could be to look on some Ubuntu distribution, where the sound is working OK and to compare with lubuntu. But I don't know what to look for.

    5. Yes of course - double clicking works (on all systems I can think of), but dragging by titlebar is faster - if you want to drag maxed window to a new position (and it works on all systems I can think of except of lubuntu) + imo there is no good reason why it shouldn't work on lubuntu. Control by context menu is of course the slowest / least appealing possibility for unmaximizing and dragging windows. I would be quite surprised if this couldn't be tweaked in lubuntu somewhere...

    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
    Well then let's forget about cursor being right or wrong by itself - even if I liked the default cursor as it is I would have still disliked how it is combined with the rest of GUI. (In other words - do you have 4 bit color icons on your desktop ? Why no / yes ? If you use 24bit icons - could the reason why you prefer them over 4 bit icons be that 4 bits are too "simple" for 2011 ? Yet in other words - I would consider 24 bit smoothed fancy looking cursor to be wrong if rest of the system would be using 4 bit icons on everything. That's just my personal opinion - no big deal (compared to inability to play sound it's really nothing)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •