Thread: log out = blank screen

Beans

log out = blank screen

New to KDE (Ubuntu with Gnome since 2005) and noticed upon logout I get a black screen with just a mouse pointer. It never returns to the graphical login screen. I can use cntrl+Al+F1 to get to a TTY and type sudo restart kdm and it gets me back to the graphical login.

Googling this I see it is an issue that's been around since at least 2006. Various distribs so probably not *buntu specific.

I edited a file called kdmrc and uncommented a line saying "Terminate-server=true" and now when I log out it goes back to the login screen. But I'm wondering if that's a CORRECT way to resolve the issue. The solution came from a post that is YEARS old.

thanks for any help
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: log out = blank screen

Thank you. That solution worked for me after restarting. Google search results showed the same blank screen problem continuing in 2011, with the same fix being suggested. I just installed Kubuntu 11.10 today.

Beans

Re: log out = blank screen

where is the kdmrc file located? I'd like to try this fix

the black screen logout seems to be a bug with a desktop effect. If I disable desktop effects before logging out, it will log out correctly, but if desktop effects are enabled, I get the same black screen.

edit:
    kmrc is located at /etc/kde4/kdm/
    there was no line for "Terminate-server=true" listed, so I added it to [X-*-Core] and now logging out is working again. thanks.
    Last edited by sleepitoff; November 7th, 2011 at 04:41 AM.