Thread: ubuntu 11.10 + router + internal wireless = problem

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ubuntu 11.10 + router + internal wireless = problem

I recently bought an Acer Aspire One D257 which has a Centrino Wireless-N 100 internal wireless adapter and my current home router is a Belkin "N Wireless Modem Router". Currently I have Lubuntu 11.10 installed in dual boot with Windows 7 Starter.

The combination of ubuntu 11.10 with the internal wireless adapter and the Belkin router seems to experience some sort of "log-jam" - a few seconds of good speed and then a drop to as low as 6kBps with occasional flickers to higher speeds. If I change any one of the above components, everything works well.

I visited the homes of a couple of friends and the system works well with their routers (including a Belkin - different model).

If I use an external usb wireless adapter (Tenda) - no problem.

Windows 7 works well as does Linux Mint 11.

As far as I have been able to verify ubuntu 11.10, lubuntu 11.10 and xubuntu 11.10 all have the same problem. Testing is a bit of a fiddle and I may have missed something.

Any comments?
    Toshiba L300 + netbooks etc.
    Experience: MSDOS 3.3..6.22; Windows 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, XP,7; Linux - dual boot with Windows.
    In any completed construction project, at least 50% of the cost and effort goes to building the box to put it in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu 11.10 + router + internal wireless = problem

Hi,

please show:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    iwconfig
    rfkill list
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    If the driver is "iwlagn", shut off the N-mode (driver bug):

Code:
    echo "options iwlagn 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv iwlagn
    sudo modprobe -v iwlagn

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your helpful reply. I think you wanted to see the results.

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
    	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0590]
    	Kernel driver in use: r8169
    --
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 100 [8086:08ae]
    	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 100 BGN [8086:1005]
    	Kernel driver in use: iwlagn

iwconfig 
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Belkin_32N"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 94:44:52:9C:00:F8   
              Bit Rate=27 Mb/s   Tx-Power=14 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=66/70  Signal level=-44 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:6   Missed beacon:0

rfkill list 
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no

cat /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated by NetworkManager
    nameserver 192.168.1.102    (this is my router's usual IP address)

--@acer-lubuntu:~$ echo "options iwlagn 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn.conf
    [sudo] password for --: 
    options iwlagn 11n_disable=1
    --@acer-lubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe -rfv iwlagn
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
    --@acer-lubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe -v iwlagn
    insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko 11n_disable=1
    --@acer-lubuntu:~$
    The commands you suggested did the job and the internal adapter worked fine until I rebooted. I would like to make the adjustment permanent. I assume that it will be necessary to apply the same changes if I choose to install another version of linux with the same driver bug. I am thinking that, since no software was changed, only the configuration, a kernel update should need no intervention.

My apologies if my response took longer than you might have expected. Either the computer or myself was distracted by other tasks.
    Experience: MSDOS 3.3..6.22; Windows 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, XP,7; Linux - dual boot with Windows.
    In any completed construction project, at least 50% of the cost and effort goes to building the box to put it in.

Beans
    Distro

It is permanent. Some other issues...Add the nameservers of your ISP directly in the NM-applet.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry about that. I did a reboot immediately after applying the fix and the speed test was poor but now it's fine. I just did another reboot to be sure - wired, usb wireless or internal wireless all produce the same good results.

Is there a reason for adding the nameservers? I have had problems with DNS in the past and I think I recognise the symptoms, which I am not seeing now. My inclination is not to fix what isn't broken. In addition, please bear in mind that this is lubuntu and I don't know how to access the NM-applet or even if it is installed. As with windows, the name of the application and the name of the executable file are usually different. Unlike Windows, I do not yet understand linux well enough to be able to find the executable file if it's not available in the menus.

Beans
    Distro

Routers are caching the websites, not their corresponding IP addresses. In Ubuntu the service dhclient is responsible for resolving the IP addresses. This disturbes the connections

Beans
    Distro

Please excuse my lack of understanding. Normally these things follow a general pattern

1. Describe the problem, circumstances and symptoms.
    2. Explain what causes the problem and why.
    3. Describe the solution to the problem and any additional consequences.

Your last comment looks to me like a part of step 2 but I don't see the problem you are trying to fix. Apart from the speed issue (now resolved, with your assistance, thank you), I don't appear to have a problem (at least, not with the network).