Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Lubuntu] How to hide desktop icons, and other questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [Lubuntu] How to hide desktop icons, and other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Finitemight View Post
    I am using the latest version of Lubuntu (11.10).
    I just tested on Lubuntu 11.10 and it does work. When you put "." at the very beginning of any file/folder, it does fade away from the Desktop even though you set PCManFM to show Hidden Files.

There must be something wrong. Have you installed something or replaced something is already installed? is this fresh new installation?

The "." approach can be used on Ubuntu as well. I see no point of using a program while you can do it manually. Just my personal opinion

Beans

Smile Re: [Lubuntu] How to hide desktop icons, and other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I just tested on Lubuntu 11.10 and it does work. When you put "." at the very beginning of any file/folder, it does fade away from the Desktop even though you set PCManFM to show Hidden Files.

There must be something wrong. Have you installed something or replaced something is already installed? is this fresh new installation?

The "." approach can be used on Ubuntu as well. I see no point of using a program while you can do it manually. Just my personal opinion

wow. you know what i did? I right clicked on the folder (which opened up file properties) and then i inserted a "." there. I did not right click and hit rename and then put a "."

heh.

thanks! That is one way of doing it.

---

The way I wanted to hide the desktop icons was the way it was done in gnome. by going to "gconfig-editor" then apps > nautilus > desktop
    and then hiding the icons that way. Then I wanted to put a shortcut to the desktop and attach it to the quick launch toolbar (another thing I cannot seem to edit as easily as i could in ubuntu, gui wise) so that it was immediatly not visible, but still one click away (as opposed to putting a "." in front, and then going to the option to show all hidden files and folders).

I hope what I typed made sense. Thank you for the quick response and the alternate way of doing this!

lol. lubuntu. Think Different.
    Last edited by Finitemight; November 5th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [Lubuntu] How to hide desktop icons, and other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Finitemight View Post
    wow. you know what i did? I right clicked on the folder (which opened up file properties) and then i inserted a "." there. I did not right click and hit rename and then put a "."

heh.

thanks! That is one way of doing it.
    I truly don't know why you can't do that with Rename? anyway, I'm glad you figured it out your way that's the most interesting part about Linux when you can do something in too many different ways

The way I wanted to hide the desktop icons was the way it was done in gnome. by going to "gconfig-editor" then apps > nautilus > desktop
    and then hiding the icons that way. Then I wanted to put a shortcut to the desktop and attach it to the quick launch toolbar (another thing I cannot seem to edit as easily as i could in ubuntu, gui wise) so that it was immediatly not visible, but still one click away (as opposed to putting a "." in front, and then going to the option to show all hidden files and folders).

I hope what I typed made sense. Thank you for the quick response and the alternate way of doing this!
    Yes, that does make sense from the very beginning but yet again, if one approach/way/method works on one OS, it doesn't mean it will work too on the other. Having too different ways is what keep Linux interesting and fun. Why there are more than 300 Active Linux Distributions and other 300 are on the waiting list on Distrowatch? there must be a good reason for that
    If Linux wasn't flexible enough, that could never happened.

lol. lubuntu. Think Different.
    Yes, exactly and that's not only about Lubuntu but Linux in General

My approach is: KISS

SliTaz is adopting that approach.
    http://www.slitaz.org/en/devel/forge.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12