Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is society on the verge of collapse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is society on the verge of collapse

I don't want to start a flame war. This is not a political discussion. This is a mere discussion on an issue which I have noticed from a lot of my peers. In an attempt to explain it (I love studying the human mind ) I've noticed the same behavior from an increasing number of adults from every generation.

Growing up with what most counselors would call a hard life (to me they were learning experiences) but to one particular <which shall remain unnamed due to unrelenting anger with his advice> I never felt anything, I lied to myself my whole life, and I had multiple personalities. which sent me into a spiraling depression and got me angry at everyone around me. Because logically, if those were true, then I was just some big phony who would never amount to anything and my hopes and dreams of getting past this "hard life" were all lies too. Anyway, before this guy's advice, I had dealt with people from various walks of life and had helped them get through some of their worst problems. Suicidal thinking, depression. . . Just a bunch of the darker side of humanity. I looked at the world with aspirations, hopes, dreams, and goals. I tried to help others get them who needed them. But seeing what I had, I also tried to hold onto the beauty in life. Because beauty comes from the living, and the living always fade.
    What I've noticed about several of my peers, and even generations before ours, society tends to be pushing more and more towards work your butt off for what you want in life, and less and less for cherish what you have in life. I've noticed so many of my peers turning into complete butt holes because they would be working their butts off and forget something important to someone else and then look at that person in amazement when they got upset about it. Like. . . What's your problem??? (family birthday's and holidays)
    I know that's how a lot of parents treat their children back when I was growing up. In an attempt to give their children everything, they often leave out, the one thing the child wants (Time with the parent).
    If I haven't lost you yet, I bring this up, b/c I remember what school was like. Every day we're told "You can be anything you want to be. Just work your butt off to get there.". I know this isn't the 50s, 60s, or even the 80s but there seem to be less and less family oriented classes in school, and more of a work your butt off and forget about having a family. Schools are about pregnancy prevention, They're not about how to take care of yourself afterwards. They constantly teach you how to understand this and that, but not how to stop and take a breather and look at the world around you. It's all about you getting here, or there. I guess now I've made my point, I'm just wondering what you guys think. Without bringing in politics, has humanity became to self involved, or is it just me?
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Re: Is society on the verge of collapse

Life is not a free ride. If you wish to exist do little. If you wish to live, work for it.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Life is not a free ride. If you wish to exist do little. If you wish to live, work for it.
    I didn't say it was a free ride. Allow me to phrase this differently, Did your grandparents who spent their entire life plowing the soil do little when they still made time for your parents at night?

That is another thing I dislike about people working their butts off recently. If someone takes time to enjoy the scenery, they must be a slacker??? I recall several times hearing my uncles talk about the beauty of the land on our farm. I also know people who work in the public sector who don't bust their butts (to the point of forgetting everyone) and still accomplish just as much as the people who do. In fact, they do the same jobs.

EDIT: There was actually a guy my social studies teacher let me listen to in HS who said that the world was coming to a social collapse. He said, all through history, when nations came to the point where it was all about the individual and no longer about the group, the civilizations just vanished. It's actually what inspired this post.
    Last edited by ki4jgt; November 3rd, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Horses for courses.
    Life is not not fair.
    Some people are luckier than others.
    You get what you work for, unless you don't.
    Different people have different values.

The world won't end because people stop admiring the sunset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Horses for courses.
    Life is not not fair.
    Some people are luckier than others.
    You get what you work for, unless you don't.
    Different people have different values.

The world won't end because people stop admiring the sunset.
    Read my last edit.

Beans

When we were agrarian based to eke out a life was possible easier for the 40 years you existed for.

Life is more complicated, the needs are greater and the need for money greater. Therefore to live a decent life one must earn a reasonable income.

When we were agrarian we worked hard but it was more physical, many of us now for very hard but it is largely mental work.

Bottom line if you want luxuries get off ones butt and earn the cash to obtain it. Nothing wrong with that.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Read my last edit.
    While there are risks of financial collapse, social collapse is more than a little unlikely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    When we were agrarian based to eke out a life was possible easier for the 40 years you existed for.

Life is more complicated, the needs are greater and the need for money greater. Therefore to live a decent life one must earn a reasonable income.

When we were agrarian we worked hard but it was more physical, many of us now for very hard but it is largely mental work.

Bottom line if you want luxuries get off ones butt and earn the cash to obtain it. Nothing wrong with that.
    I didn't say there was. But we as humans aren't meant to live without social ties, yet that is where we seem to be headed. With the desire to have the biggest and greatest. It honestly has nothing to do with being on one's butt. One can work and still take in the sunshine. One can work and still take the time to cherish their 5 year old daughter before she becomes 6. One can work and still celebrate their mother's birthday before she dies because she 97 years old and no one knows how long she has left. That is what I'm talking about. When people forget why their 97 year old mother is upset at them for not coming to their birthday, that's a problem. I know demand is high and work is a valid excuse, but it's not a valid excuse to be angry at them for it if you're not working at the time and they get upset about it. If you become so wrapped up in what must be and what life demands, you lose the entire purpose of living in the first place.

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Angelo, Leanardo Da Vinci, Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi, Darwin, none of them lazy, all of them disciplined, I can guarantee you that none of them wanted to be like anyone else, they decided to make their own paths and follow them (else they would've winded up like everyone else). They saw things that no one else did, b/c they took the time to look for them. Apple is selling (mainly and appearance) not b/c steve poured his life into something which he just decided to work to, but b/c of something he related to other people with. When you forget to take the time to look where you're going and where you've been, you get stuck in where other people are telling you to go and you forget where you wanted to go in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is nothing stopping you from stopping to smell the roses while all the people around you work themselves to death.

Also, civilizations dont vanish when they become self involved.

Beans

If the United States went to war with itself, who's side would you be on?

Calm down son. I'm class of 69. We go through these crises now and again. Many of us know just how ugly this sort of thing can get and are working to prevent it. Nothing impossible to live with has happened yet. We're in for 20 to 30 years of deflation and depression but we've been through that before and we can get through it again. Its incredibly annoying but that's just the way things are. Its not worth killing over or ignoring the wisdom of the founding fathers to try something else in a panic.
    Take your girl, a blanket and a bottle of wine someplace private and watch the sunset while celebrating life.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast