Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is society on the verge of collapse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is society on the verge of collapse

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    I'm moving!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    i'm moving!
    lol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans

i really like these graphs, really says alot about different cultures (surprise, surprise the French take the most holidays, i think they employ one of the largest portions of their population in the civil service, about a third).

@drawkcab i personally believe that the medieval church was principally driven by the economics of power and money. and the theologians/theology were essentially secondary. i'm sure you're aware that the templars were the first international bankers and they also practiced usury. most pilgrim routes across Europe essentially acted as ideological barriers as their geography suggests they might (eg the santa maria del compostella rout across the top of Spain, to protect against the Moors). If the principal aim had been non-capitalistic social redistribution of wealth then the vatican would not be nearly so ornate. pardons and indulgences were boought and sold like any other commodity (i point you in the direction of Chaucer's 'Pardoner's Tale').
    anyway, just my opinion...

to all ye Locke fans out there, read the Leviathan, Hobbes is clearly the superior philosopher (i feel like all the Americans in the room have frozen in shock at this comment).

Beans

I guess I like this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    When you forget to take the time to look where you're going and where you've been, you get stuck in where other people are telling you to go and you forget where you wanted to go in the first place.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

This happened to me in college, actually. Everyone told me to do one thing, and I did it. Now, I wish I had done another. It's too late, though.

I definitely think society has become WAY too under-concerned with cherishing life, savoring every single moment, and doing what makes you happy - instead of doing what makes you "look cool" or gives you an "advantage" over others. It's almost like suddenly we're in a competition with everyone else. When did that happen?

I'm not advocating for "laziness" - I'm just saying, I don't want to ever regret not spending enough time enjoying my life when I'm on my death bed.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Is society on the verge of collapse

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    i really like these graphs, really says alot about different cultures (surprise, surprise the French take the most holidays, i think they employ one of the largest portions of their population in the civil service, about a third).
    And are largly union led...

...the medieval church was principally driven by the economics of power and money.
    You forgot to mention fear...

Hobbes is clearly the superior philosopher
    Can't agree that Hobbes is "superior" - there was certainly affinity between Locke's / Hobbes' musings though from somewhat contrary sides of the fence
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    I didn't say there was. But we as humans aren't meant to live without social ties, yet that is where we seem to be headed. With the desire to have the biggest and greatest. It honestly has nothing to do with being on one's butt. One can work and still take in the sunshine. One can work and still take the time to cherish their 5 year old daughter before she becomes 6. One can work and still celebrate their mother's birthday before she dies because she 97 years old and no one knows how long she has left. That is what I'm talking about. When people forget why their 97 year old mother is upset at them for not coming to their birthday, that's a problem. I know demand is high and work is a valid excuse, but it's not a valid excuse to be angry at them for it if you're not working at the time and they get upset about it. If you become so wrapped up in what must be and what life demands, you lose the entire purpose of living in the first place.

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Angelo, Leanardo Da Vinci, Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi, Darwin, none of them lazy, all of them disciplined, I can guarantee you that none of them wanted to be like anyone else, they decided to make their own paths and follow them (else they would've winded up like everyone else). They saw things that no one else did, b/c they took the time to look for them. Apple is selling (mainly and appearance) not b/c steve poured his life into something which he just decided to work to, but b/c of something he related to other people with. When you forget to take the time to look where you're going and where you've been, you get stuck in where other people are telling you to go and you forget where you wanted to go in the first place.
    Those who know me know that past events have made me keenly aware of the pleasures of life and the small things that count.
    They also know that I am very aware of the hardships and curve balls that life can fire.

I believe that, life is good but you have to go get it, it is not pre-ordained.

Once we lived in small villages with collective farming and hunting etc. We still do,except the village has changed. The work place is part of the village and we still work collectively. Some are the group gatherers others are the lone hunters that return at the end of the day. Same process different pictures.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; November 3rd, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Ric_NYC: This is completely off-topic, but I just thought I'd like to mention it
    before I forget it again: Your avatar rocks!

Beans
    Hidden!

No , unfortunately we are not that lucky.
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast