Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your must-have Shell extensions that don't exist yet

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Your must-have Shell extensions that don't exist yet

About that touch-scrolling, you can also grab the "applications" overview and drag it around. But if you try it, you notice that the dragging is paginated (you can't stop dragging between two pages of applications). This is while the interface lets you assume it's a continuous thing (with a scrollbar, icons split in half if they go over the border ...).

According to me, that's a design problem. If it is paginated, it should show one nice aligned grid with icons per page, and have pagination dots instead of a scrollbar. If it is continuous, you should be able to drag-scroll to a where you want (and not be bounded by the page boundaries).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good observation - you're right, and that's highly strange. The pages should be defined by an integer multiple of the icon row height (ideally, you know, one) instead of an arbitrary pixel size. I've never used that view, because it's pointless to begin with (an alphabetical list of all installed apps? Really?) but playing with it, it's already frustrating me. (Try to scroll to a specific row and watch it disappear off the bottom when I let go, etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thought you guys might be interested in this, the git for what will become the "official" Linux Mint extensions. I've tried the menu & bottom panel extension, the menu is especially impressive. The window list extension is running without error but frankly I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. (Figured it out, shows the running apps in the bottom panel)

If you download the tarball it includes every extension, drill down through the /usr directory.

Linux Mint extensions git

If you don't use the bottom panel extension the menu will insert itself upper left.

Let me re-phrase that, if you are fond of the Linux Mint or GnoMenu style menu you will likely be amazed at what this extension is doing.

This is what the menu looks like in the top panel, and one with the window list, bottom panel & mint menu.

linux mint menu.jpg bottom panel.jpg
    Last edited by cbowman57; November 4th, 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added screenshot

Beans
    Distro

Mr. Murphy has reworked the mint menu extensions, IMHO they feel a little smoother & lighter than the one from the git, though I'm sure they aren't quite done yet.

Here's a very short video of the rhsmenu & lhsmenu in action. With the panel favorites incorporated into the menus I was able to remove that clutter from my panel.

>> : Link to youtube video Gnome 3.2 shell twin menus

** crossposted from the Customize Gnome shell thread **

Beans
    Distro

A panel menu type of extension to enable/disable extensions.

OR

a command line method to launch gnome-tweak-tool in the Extensions tab so it could be incorporated into a launcher.

Beans
    Distro

This would make a really cool extension if it were possible.

screenshot-at-2011-12-09-22-00-12-500x281.jpg

Link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I really really miss an extension that puts ONLY THE CHAT NOTIFICATIONS into the top panel.

Not the drives and all that - it makes sense that most of those are not cluttering the top panel. But the amount of chats I miss, due to the invisible notifications at the bottom... GAH. I do not have my eyes glued to the screen at all times, so yes, I miss important chat-messages like "CPO: come over to see me as soon as you get back" ... NOT GOOD.

It would be a HUGE increase in usability, if the little pictures and names and message-count-indicators on each of them would be something visible WITHOUT having to use the mouse to look for them, or - when using the overview/dash - look in the opposite corner of the screen. I just don't see the bottom right corner of the screen when looking for an application to open on far left side. talking about a 24" screen.

I tried to understand it in my free time. No success...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234