Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: google drive

Beans

google drive

Google is now advertising Google Drive, which will replace Google Documents. There is of course Ubuntu One, but my question is will Google Drive work with Ubuntu as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: google drive

Hi ulissipus.

I haven't read any official announcement, but there are at least a couple of articles mentioning people from google saying (unofficially) that support for Linux is coming.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In the meantime, I'm using it via the Chrome browser and I quite like it. Even editing files online is not bad even though I have a relatively slow net connection (384 Kbps). When the app arrives that will be neat.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have noticed an issue possibly with line endings. If I copy paste stuff from gedit or geany or even the editor that the Stylish extension of Firefox uses, into a Google Document, I often get an error message of "trying to contact Google" even though I can open other Google pages in other tabs at the same time. The same happens if I upload files created by gedit or geany. There's no problem uploading a file saved in .odt format in LibreOffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi ulissipus.

I haven't read any official announcement, but there are at least a couple of articles mentioning people from google saying (unofficially) that support for Linux is coming.

Regards.
    Yeah, it is coming. I would rather take this as an 'official' statement :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11004397...ts/SxDNKR7ehSL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Yeah, it is coming. I would rather take this as an 'official' statement :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11004397...ts/SxDNKR7ehSL
    Cute quote from there: "I'm a little puzzled why a company like Dropbox supports Linux, but Google, who probably employs more chefs than Dropbox has developers, does not."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Cute quote from there: "I'm a little puzzled why a company like Dropbox supports Linux, but Google, who probably employs more chefs than Dropbox has developers, does not."
    Yeah, it's a myth.

Google itself is using and developing open source software and OS and thus, like many, I would have also expected a Linux client being launched when they announced the Windows one.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is a serious service issue with Google Docs/Drive, serious enough that I probably wouldn't use the service in the future, even if they do come around to RESTORING Linux service.

The reason I feel so strongly lies with the capitalized word above: restoring. Google Docs, as far as I'm aware, was always available for Linux. And when Drive was launched, the next time I signed into my Docs account on my Ubuntu desktop, Google displayed a page explaining Drive for me, and giving me the option to upgrade. Even though I was not sure if I was going to use the offline file syncing, Google made Drive sound like an upgraded service. So between that and my thinking that the days of Google support and maintenance for Docs would be numbered, I converted my Docs account to a Google Drive.

That was a few weeks ago. Since then I had been using the online side of my Google Drive on Ubuntu without issue.

This morning I tied to access a file in my Google Drive, again from my Ubuntu Desktop (I think I used the old http://docs.google.com URL out of habit, which redirects to Drive), and I was redirected to this page, which seems to be selling the concept of Drive as if I weren't already using it. I click the Home link at the top, log in, and come back to the same page. I try http://drive.google.com and repeat, and get the same result. Then I notice this on the page:

Google Drive is available for:
    PC and Mac
    Chrome OS
    iPhone and iPad (coming soon)
    Android devices
    Linux is notably absent, especially given that iOS is listed, even though it's not yet available. "PC" usually refers to hardware rather than software, of course, but since Google seemed not to be recognizing that I ever had a Google Drive on Linux, it seems obvious that in the above list, we are to read "PC" as "Windows".

People in this thread, and in the Plus thread linked here, have been talking about this issue as a new service that has not yet been extended to support Linux. This is false. This is an unannounced, indefinite service interruption. If this were to happen with virtually any other OS, there would be riots.

wtf?

Beans

The beauty of Ubuntu and the Linux community is that we are not at the mercy of commercial concerns, even good companies like Google. See Grive, and open source Linux client for Google Drive: http://match065.github.com/grive/

I haven't tried it yet, but repository instructions are at http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/grive...ve-client.html

One last note: Google is helping to usher in a new paradigm. The whole idea of having your data sequestered inside a particular piece of hardware is so 20th century... While Internet connectivity is occasionally sparse or non-existent, I *really* like having everything in the cloud... As an old-school geek (built my first computer in 1978 ), I am having to learn to think a bit differently!
    Last edited by Samatva; May 25th, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add repository comments

Beans

Exclamation It's not a mystery

Guys....guys....guys. Step back. Look at the bigger picture.

Google is in no rush to provide Linux desktop support because this could improve Chromium OS adoption among Linux users. Taking over the laptop and mobile platform is a top priority for them. Google has never even created a windows app for GMail. Sure you could defend that decision and say that it would cut out advertising revenue. But it looks like they have managed to integrate Gmail (and a plethora of other exclusive apps) into Chrome OS just fine.

Did you all really think Google is a purveyor of Open Source? They only support Open Source to the extent that it fits in with their business strategy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast