Thread: add gnome weather panel applet to xfce menu 11.10

Beans

add gnome weather panel applet to xfce menu 11.10

I've just started using xubuntu 11.10 as an alternative to ubuntu with unity.

I miss the old gnome weather panel applet and I don't like the applet that's bundled with the xfce menu. The gnome one gives detailed text forecasts complete with any weather advisories that might be issued by the National Weather Service. It also gives the radar image.

Is there some way to use it with the xfce menu? I've read about the xfce4-xfapplet-plugin to allow the use of gnome applets but it's not in the repositories unless you add the xfce-goodies package which says it's a "suggested" add on but doesn't specifically say it'll be loaded. It also brings in other packages I don't need.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: add gnome weather panel applet to xfce menu 11.10

You might turn off "suggested" from the package manager....... open package manager,settings, preferences, uncheck "consider recommended packages as dependencies".

that way you wont get what you don't need.

Beans

I tried the checkbox in Synaptic as suggested but Synaptic comes back with a list of dependencies which I don't want to add.

Has anyone used the "goodies" package and can explain how the installer works? I read their website and it's not clear to me.

I can download the specific app I want but it's not compiled. It's over my head.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The repos no longer contain xfapplet, as it is no longer actively supported (by Xfce, Gnome or Xubuntu). The package in "goodies" contains that suggested line in error.
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

just a bumb cause I'd like to know too
    I'm born again new... On 11.10, born again from 8.10.

Beans

Thanks for that information. That's settles the matter.

Does anyone know of a weather applet similar the the gnome one that will work in xfce? The included one is nice but I need more than cute pictures. Gnome was text based bust very detailed. For example, in snow forecasts you'll see the accumulation prediction which is helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't think Xfce has what you're looking for. Maybe a web browser extension would get the job done, though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...rch/?q=weather
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans

If I go the browser route I might as well just set a bookmark to the weather channel or the NWS.

There seem to be several weather applets for KDE and I'm surprised that there's only one for xfce. I can't even get that one to work. It won't search for locations. It just sits there.

Thanks anyway.