Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yaboot wont load after installing 11.10 - Mac Mini

Beans

Yaboot wont load after installing 11.10 - Mac Mini

Hi folks!
    I just got an old G4 Mac Mini from a garage sale. I'm aimming to use it as a secondary computer when surfing the web - much more silent and less power comsuming than my main CPU used to render 3D scenes.
    Here's the thing. I got rid of the OSX when installing Ubuntu - chose to take the entire HD. But when the system finishes the instalation and asks for reboot... well, after rebooting there is no bootloader loading, no yaboot at all, I just get the MacOS log blinking with an question mark.
    Could anyone help me up here?
    Thanks in advance

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Yaboot wont load after installing 11.10 - Mac Mini

The 11.10 cd has been having a lot of problems. Did you get a mirror server error? There is a possible fix here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=27 . If you didn't could you post back please on that thread what country you are in or if you were connected via ethernet cable at the time?

I don't know if there is a further problem with the mac mini http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871276 .

You'll definitly be able to install 11.04 va the mini cd http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=1 .
    Last edited by rsavage; November 28th, 2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Changed links to cut down on reading

Beans

In fact I got the mirror error bur since I'm installing from CD and not connected to the internet I just thought that I was a natural error for not being able to update some packages.
    Sorry if it's a stupid question, but does not being able to do this step prevents the bootloader from installing itself? 'Cause even with the mirror error the installation shows the "completed" message and the system reboots.
    Maybe I'll just try 11.04.
    Thank you!

Beans

No stop! We can try something out!

Beans

Is there a way to call yaboot from openfirmware console? I mean, when I boot the live CD I can see that the system is installed so maybe I should just try to run yaboot manually.
    Thanks for the replies btw

Beans

Yes, that is what I was going to suggest. You should be able to boot your cd to the yaboot prompt and then put in the openfirmware path to the vmlinux file in the /boot directory. Have a look at the link in the mirror server thread for suggestions for the openfirmware path.

Will be back on in 20 mins or so when I can give more detail....

Beans

hd:3,/boot/vmlinux root=hd:3 ro

hd:3,/boot/vmlinux root=hd:3 initrd=hd:3,/boot/initrd.img ro

/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3,/boot/vmlinux root=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3 ro

/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3,/boot/vmlinux root=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3 initrd=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3,/boot/initrd.img ro

Once booted we can then install yaboot properly to the hard drive.

Beans

Alright them. It may just take some time here ' cause Brazilian internet connections can be pretty slow - especially mine since the place I live is far away from big cities . Seriously, it takes like 10 minutes to get a page to load sometimes ¬¬.
    But this old little G4 fellow will have to boot someway or another

Beans

Brazil! Cool! That's like half a world away! This internet thing is great!

I'm saying you can do this stuff because the documentation says you can http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/...9.en.html#s9.3 ! I've not tried it and it is a real pain not having a powerpc machine available to me!

I'm guessing you may hit a busybox prompt....

Beans

Ok. Tried what you said but it returns me "Please wait, loading kernel... not a valid elf image".
    Now thinking of it, when i tried "sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3" before from the live CD (after installing the system and checking that the files where present at th HD) it said it couldn't find a kernel at all.
    Could it be possible that Ubuntu setup haven't copied all the files to my system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast