Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck on purple screen

Beans

Stuck on purple screen

Hello,

So here is my case, I recently upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 and I am experiencing some booting problems.

when I turn my laptop on (Compaq Presario V3000 with Nvidia Geforce 7150m, code C67) I get to a purple screen and cannot move from it, if I restart the pc I get the grub screen to choose from Linux 3, Linux 3 (recovery version) and the memory tests. I would obviosly choose the first options, which takes me to a black screen with a blinking cursor, after a couple of seconds I am taken to the Busy Box/initramfs (before with 11.04 I always had to boot from previous linux version which would as well would take me to initramfs there i would just wait a couple of minutes, type exit and get a login screen) now however when I type exit I just get the same initramfs over and over, then after a couple of seconds I would automatically display some lines saying some <process killed by signal 9> things, I would wait till that stops, then I would again type exit and finally I get a login screen and I can access my system. I been using this "process" for the past couple of days while trying some grub editing tips with no results, I tried adding a lot of different words to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= with no results.

I had some similar issues with 11.04, since I always had to boot from an old linux version to get a desktop otherwise I would just gets stuck on the same purple version.

Now with 11.10 because of the upgrades I lost all the other linux versions so is Linux 3 or nothing.

Please help me with this. I love ubuntu with my heart but is a little frustrating to get this booting problems.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Stuck on purple screen

sorry to bump so early, anyone?? any help??

Beans

Angry Re: Stuck on purple screen

I guess there is no resolution to this issue.

I'll have to deal with it till I buy a new PC, hope I can do that soon.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Backup /home and do a clean install.Upgrades have always been undependable.
    UP THE IRONS!

Beans

thanks for your reply, the first time I upgraded from 11.04, second and third times I performed a clean install and the problem persisted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Norm24 View Post
    Backup /home and do a clean install.Upgrades have always been undependable.
    yeah, i agree. i think if your getting as far as grub your hardware is probably fine (i suppose there could a hard disk fault, but it's probably something else). i'd certainly not rush to pcworld just yet.

I'd try booting from a live cd or usb, copy the data you need or want to a separate location, and then do a fresh install.

I'm sure that the issue could probably be fixed, but that sounds like a lot more hassle than just reinstalling it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holywhistler View Post
    thanks for your reply, the first time I upgraded from 11.04, second and third times I performed a clean install and the problem persisted.
    that's interesting, so you can use 11.10 from a live disk, but then not when it is installed?

Beans

I can use it after going to through the whole process of:

I get the grub screen to choose from Linux 3, Linux 3 (recovery version) and the memory tests. I would obviosly choose the first option, which takes me to a black screen with a blinking cursor, after a couple of seconds I am taken to the Busy Box/initramfs, when I type exit I just get the same initramfs over and over, then after a couple of seconds I would automatically display some lines saying some <process killed by signal 9> things, I would wait till that stops, then I would again type exit and finally I get a login screen and I can access my system.
    And from a live CD/USB.

The sytems works fine, the process mentioned however is the problem

Thanks!

Beans

sorry, i got no idea, sounds like some kind of bug. i take it you tried updating grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just ran across this thread last night. It seems to address the problems you are having. I have not had to use it and therefore can't vouch for how well it works.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast