Thread: 11.10 startup freeze at ubuntu logo page

Beans

11.10 startup freeze at ubuntu logo page

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 (kernel 3.1.0-rc10+) on an AMD 64-bit system. With the latest nVidia driver (285.05.09), the startup hangs on the ubuntu logo screen after the 5 red dots turn to white, then red again. Ctrl-Alt-F<x> doesn't get me into a tty session, and Ctril+Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B doesn't reboot. In recovery mode, I get a lot of "usb 5-2 device descriptor read/64 error -110" messages before I can drop into a root prompt. I can then telinit 3 to start an X session and get to the login screen, but I can't login. The login screen reappears after I enter my username and password, without an "invalid username/password" warning.

If I install the nvidia_current driver (280.05.09) instead, the startup hangs immediately at the blank aubergine screen. In recovery mode, it hangs after the "loading initial ramdisk..." message.

I Googled around for similar problems, but none of the solutions seemed to work. I've attached a zipfile of my dmesg output. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW I did not have any such problems with 11.04.

-LloydM999
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LloydM999; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:14 AM.

Beans

Re: 11.10 startup freeze at ubuntu logo page

Me too, guest its not ready yet then for 11.10.

BTW its Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B close but no cigar.

Beans

Thanks.

I meant Ctrl+Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B, I add the Ctrl to prevent a screen dump.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: 11.10 startup freeze at ubuntu logo page

I had the same problem and after installing about 3000 packages and trying to get compiz -- unity working (fails b/c no multitouch support, I use xorg-edgers). After doing a ppa-purge of xorg-edgers, I went into recovery mode. Got a read only root shell but
    rest of system hung. Rather than reinstalling I downloaded the ubuntu alternate recovery disk which had a recover system mode which worked after a few apt-add-repositories. I would not recommend installing oneiric until such time as unity -- compiz are working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I got my new Lenovo T420 like two weeks ago and it was working up until an hour ago when it froze, I rebooted it, and now it just hangs at the Ubuntu logo-start page. I tried to press shift during start up but all I get is a feeble "grub loading" message and then it goes back to that infernal screen. If someone could just tell me the way back to where I was this morning before that update, I'd be SO happy. The only thing that is giving me any response is BIOS, so I think if I can get together some sort of recovery files together I can boot them off a USB key (no DVD available sadly). Any and all help is wildly and effusively appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans

Mine stopped booting after the power went out. This worked perfectly. Thanks again.