Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: most damage a troll can make without root access

Beans

most damage a troll can make without root access

Hi all,

I'm working in a hostel that has a computer for the guests to use. this computer (a simple nettop) was struggling with all the stuff it had, plus Vista, so I installed ubuntu 11.10. It's nice, clean, legal and fast. So far, so good.

What worries me is that it's a pretty standard ubuntu installation, because I really don't know how to set up an internet kiosk. You can, for instance, open a terminal.

So, my question is: what is the worst a possible linux-knowing troll could do, using the terminal, without having access to the root password?

Beans

Re: most damage a troll can make without root access

I'm really looking forward to what some of the experts have to say about this.

However as someone who (occasionally) likes mess to around with public PCs (basically troll), I'd try to fork a bunch of processes to eat up CPU and memory, and maybe fill up the hard drive (home directory, temp, whatever I have access to).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by van_Zeller View Post
    Hi all,

I'm working in a hostel that has a computer for the guests to use. this computer (a simple nettop) was struggling with all the stuff it had, plus Vista, so I installed ubuntu 11.10. It's nice, clean, legal and fast. So far, so good.

What worries me is that it's a pretty standard ubuntu installation, because I really don't know how to set up an internet kiosk. You can, for instance, open a terminal.

So, my question is: what is the worst a possible linux-knowing troll could do, using the terminal, without having access to the root password?
    Physical access is root access.

They can drop to a recovery console and root shell prompt

They could potentially boot to a Live CD, or use a USB

Physical is root
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Hi all,

change the password or install a windows look alike theme
    Last edited by Gremlinzzz; October 31st, 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    change the password
    You can change the password without knowing the previous password??

Beans

yes i can

Beans

Well, they could pretty much trash the desktop, fill the browser with nasty shortcuts, drop scripts in there to do all kinds of malicious things.

But rather than discuss that, why don't we discuss how to lock this thing down properly?

I've set up a few internet kiosks in my day, usually I just override the kiosk user's .xinitrc file to only launch a simple window manager, rsync a fresh copy of the home directory, then launch a browser full-screen in an endless loop (so that when the browser is closed it just relaunches).

Basically, my .xinitrc might look something like this:
    Code:
    xset s off
    xset -dpms

matchbox-window-manager &

while true; do
      rsync -qr --delete /usr/local/kiosk/ /home/kiosk/
      chromium-browser --app=http://example.com
    done
    This, of course, assumes that you have matchbox-window-manager installed, and that you have a clean copy of kiosk's home directory under /usr/local (you can put it anywhere that isn't writeable by the kiosk user).

Let me know if this sounds useful, I can offer more suggestions. Been doing this kind of thing for years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes. That is one of the implications of the method haqking mentioned.

But basically, they can do anything they want. I'm sure there are ways to make it less obviously open, though.

All that same stuff can be done in windows as well.

Beans

so, i guess that there isn;t really anything you can do about the live cd/usb issue (except using a secure booted device). the ubuntu having no root password is something that can apparently be changed, which might be advisable. also you could look at using open suse or fedora, or another distro, which uses root password.

i seem to remember that windows has a program called deepfreeze, which prevents users affecting any changes to it.

also i think a fork-bomb still works, to make to make Ubuntu freeze up. eg:
    <snip>
    Last edited by Elfy; October 31st, 2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: forkbomb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    so, i guess that there isn;t really anything you can do about the live cd/usb issue (except using a secure booted device). the ubuntu having no root password is something that can apparently be changed, which might be advisable. also you could look at using open suse or fedora, or another distro, which uses root password.

i seem to remember that windows has a program called deepfreeze, which prevents users affecting any changes to it.

also i think a fork-bomb still works, to make to make Ubuntu freeze up. eg:
    <snip>
    You can only keep the honest person out.
    Last edited by Elfy; October 31st, 2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: forkbomb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast