Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering LibreOffice (.odt) file -- how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Recovering LibreOffice (.odt) file -- how?

I'll try to keep this as unemotional as possible .. but I'm pretty disgusted that something a simple as installing CCSM in 11.10 will automatically TRASH documents -- even though I saved them before restarting!

And yes, it's done it twice now!

So, not having really had to spend any real amount of time trying to recovery documents in Ubuntu, I've only recently done some reading on testdisk and photorec. Supposedly, the latter is what I need -- except, it does not provide any option to select .odt files, or anything like them.

I don't really want to have to browse through thousands of entries in a 105GB Ext4 partition just to find one document -- which is what I'm guessing testdisk is going to do if I turn it loose on the partition.

So, is there any simple way to recover a now missing, odt file?

UPDATE2: Sorry, after considerable searching, was not able to find the earlier page I had seen referring to the Ext4 zero filesize problem with LibreOffice. So, I have to retract this earlier statement -- and I have added a new reply to this thread.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; November 2nd, 2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Update -- added new findings.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Recovering LibreOffice (.odt) file -- how?

Hi Mark,

According to the following thread, PhotoRec can recover odt files.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Formats_Recovered_By_PhotoRec

I think it is worth trying, if it was a valuable file, or to be prepared, if an odt file is lost again.

If it does not work, although cgsecurity claims it works, maybe it is because the file header was destroyed by Libre Office.

Good luck
    Olle
    Last edited by WasMeHere; November 1st, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Every time you save your document, save it as a different name.

e.g.

importantdoc-0.1.odt
    importantdoc-0.2.odt
    importantdoc-0.3.odt
    etc.

Then, should disaster strike and you lose importantdoc-0.3.odt, you still have importantdoc-0.2.odt as a starting point.

Coupled with that, you could set up a cron-based rsync job to synchronize your works in progress to another folder and/or partition.

All this won't help you recover your lost work, but it may help you to not lose it in the future, or at least, if you do lose it, you don't lose all of it.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    Hi Mark,

According to the following thread, PhotoRec can recover odt files.
    Yeah ... I read that too ... but when I launched Photorec, and it provided a list of file types, there was no odt in the list -- all the files were media files.

Since then, I've read that LibreOffice creates backups in a folder. So, I went into that folder -- empty!

So now, every time I make some major changes, I'm copying it from my desktop to another partition. It's unlikely that BOTH versions will get trashed.

Beans

I am rather sure that PhotoRec can recover other files than media. I am not positive about odt though, but I think you might find a tab or menu where to select office files or something like that, and odt should be listed there.

All of us reading this thread are warned, and we should also backup extra files until we know that the bug in Libre Office is fixed.

Beans

Hi again Mark,

I have Ultimate Boot CD version 5.03. The current versions is 5.1.1. I think both have PhotoRec 6.12 included in Parted Magic. At least on my UBCD odt files are recovered as zip files (you can untick all files and then tick zip files).

I tested it on a USB stick, and yes, PhotoRec finds odt (write) files. It also finds ods (calc) and odp (impress) files and they are readable afterwords.

Having fun finding out
    Olle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since then, I've read that LibreOffice creates backups in a folder. So, I went into that folder -- empty!
    check in preferences if the autobackup feature is enabled.

Beans
    Distro

I tested it on a USB stick, and yes, PhotoRec finds odt (write) files. It also finds ods (calc) and odp (impress) files and they are readable afterwords.
    OK ... but does it allow you to select ONLY odt files? I have thousands of files on the 100+GB partition and don't want to have to wade through a great long list to find the ONE odt file.

Beans

It allows you to select only zip format files, so along with the odt files there will be other open document files, regular zip archive files etc. But all other files will be skipped, so regular rubber boots will keep you dry while wading through the file torrent

Beans
    Distro

It allows you to select only zip format files ...
    So, it thinks .odt files are compressed archive files?

Sorry to keep asking, but I've been very busy and haven't had time to get to my Linux PC to try out your suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast