Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: presentation on windows vs linux

Beans

presentation on windows vs linux

Well, i'm going to open a linux club in my college soon andone of my initial presentations will point out how ubuntu/linux clearly scores over windows
    Now my ppt has to be a really cool one (audience being college students) and the facts should be really strong enough to initiate conversion.
    I have gathered a few strong facts regarding open source and linux vs windows but i'll be quite grateful if someone can help me out by posting some links to some sites or preferably some ppt slides....................................
    Also please hint some cool looking ppt backgrounds

P.S:-I have already googled for the phrase "windows vs linux" and went through a lot of ppts n pdfs but all are almost the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: presentation on windows vs linux

The best advertisement you could give for linux is to produce an impressive presentation without using powerpoint! Impress (part of Open office) and Latex/beamer are both great ways of doing this. Good luck!

Beans

I'm very interested in this for similar reasons.

Give a few broad selling points and also give a lot of very quick, COOL things. Give them some nice compiz eye candy (rotating cube, etc.). They love that.

Because most of the software is free, it can be maintained by one central location. The whole system can be updated and still ensure than everything works. It's like Windows update, but better because it not only updates the OS, but all of the programs on it too, and it's all seamlessly integrated.

Maybe don't scare them too much with the terminal, but if you do something in the terminal, give them some nice one liners. Are you presenting to CS students or to whom?

Please post what ideas you currently have or found.

I would go easy on the philosophy... most students aren't going to adopt Linux for only philosophical reasons. Give them some good advantages.

Beans

Smile Re: presentation on windows vs linux

Thanks a lot PGScooter for your recommendations.
    I have kept the same things in mind.
    I will concentrate on the software packages (coz thats what the people usually spend a lot of time on),
    minimal use of terminal-linux can be used by noobs even ,
    desktop customizability of linux(gnome+compiz, kde plasma, enlightment)-more beautiful than windows/mac,
    various possible choices(ubuntu,kubuntu,fedora,etc)
    open source(describing closed source as evil at the same time )
    and pointing out various drawbacks of windows/mac(e.g. BSOD,software installaltion, rolling updates, etc).
    Well,the audience will be a mix of all branches(CS,IT,Electrical,Civil,etc).

Actually, I have seen a lot of steve jobs' presentations and i love the dark backgrounds,large fonts and cool animations and i intend to create a simlar looking ppt.I may not be as good a presenter as he was but at least I can create a similar presentation.
    any recommendations!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by scrogster View Post
    The best advertisement you could give for linux is to produce an impressive presentation without using powerpoint!
    +1

A big selling point for linux is assuring people that they will still be able to do everything they use a computer for with little adaptation. (Most users really only use browsers, chat clients, and MS Office anyway)

However, you are not going to be able to make a good sales pitch by advertising that something is "just as good". IMHO the best thing about linux, and particularly Ubuntu, is the community. No operating system is bug-free. The thing that sets linux apart is that you can go online and quickly get great answers on how to solve your own problems, instead of leaving it up to a "genius"

Beans

You could point out that sometimes command line is easier than browsing. For example

sudo apt-get install application123 in a terminal can be easier than :
    Browse to...website for download
    double click on exe file...
    Press button to go for option..
    dont install ... so press...

etc etc

Beans

Here's another thread on this topic, although it's targetted at a computer science club I think:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=netflix

I like the idea of showing them the dual boot. That way, they can still play a certain game or can take their time switching.

Beans

Can u provide links to some videos i could show?
    well, i've the official ubuntu videos and some from the linux foundation but i would like a more detailed one
    Last edited by getanshub4u; November 2nd, 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Beans

Three big selling points for non techies are it starts quickly, it shuts down quickly and it runs on older machines. I finally abandoned Windows when my Vista system took four minutes to boot and I was about to reinstall it yet again just so I could log in in a reasonable amount of time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ballantony View Post
    Three big selling points for non techies are it starts quickly, it shuts down quickly and it runs on older machines. I finally abandoned Windows when my Vista system took four minutes to boot and I was about to reinstall it yet again just so I could log in in a reasonable amount of time.
    Fair, but you need to compare Ubuntu to Windows 7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast