Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: presentation on windows vs linux

Beans

Re: presentation on windows vs linux

nice post ...personally , i prefer ubuntus , cause is more faster , can be installed more desktop that ubuntus defaul desktop , like, openbox (i use for make the simulations more faster xD , mmmm is friendly with the user , can be do anything , and ...the best part for me ....can be boot from any device like external hd ....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Witch Lady View Post
    I think it should be stressed out that Ubu doiesn't only have free apps made by hobbysts but also professional, commercial apps.
    I agree with most of your post, but this bit seems to present a bit of a false dichotomy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but this bit seems to present a bit of a false dichotomy.
    No, it's just an answer to a "made by geeks" software stereotype regarding Linux. Some people are saying that they feel better when companies make software, also a paid one cause they can trust their desire to earn as much money as possible (therefore they will care & polish their product). This is not necessarily the truth, but...

Also, many people think that when they have to pay for something, it's of a better quality than the free product.

You say false dichotomy, but probably there is no software developed professionally which doesn't have funds from commerce or services. There has to be some kind of payment involved, otherwise there wouldn't be hired (paid) developers working onb the project. Some may use the free (basic) version but pay for advanced version or for support or anything else.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Witch Lady View Post
    No, it's just an answer to a "made by geeks" software stereotype regarding Linux. Some people are saying that they feel better when companies make software, also a paid one cause they can trust their desire to earn as much money as possible (therefore they will care & polish their product). This is not necessarily the truth, but...

Also, many people think that when they have to pay for something, it's of a better quality than the free product.

You say false dichotomy, but probably there is no software developed professionally which doesn't have funds from commerce or services. There has to be some kind of payment involved, otherwise there wouldn't be hired (paid) developers working onb the project. Some may use the free (basic) version but pay for advanced version or for support or anything else.
    Yes, the programmers creating commercial software have been paid to do so. However, people also get paid (in some cases) to create free software too. The existence of even a single person being paid to create free software means that assuming that it is a choice between commercial software created by professionals and free software created by hobbyists is a false dichotomy (i.e. other choices exist).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Yes, the programmers creating commercial software have been paid to do so. However, people also get paid (in some cases) to create free software too. The existence of even a single person being paid to create free software means that assuming that it is a choice between commercial software created by professionals and free software created by hobbyists is a false dichotomy (i.e. other choices exist).
    We know that other choices exist but this isn't necessarily the common knowledge. I was relating to stereotypes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123