Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random log out ubuntu 11.10 (64bit)

Beans

random log out ubuntu 11.10 (64bit)

I upgraded from 11.04 , I have 64 bit ubuntu .
    I randomly get Log Out-ed . I see a black screen with some text for a moment then it goes to GDM log in page.and when I login , all of my works are lost .

I also get my curssor to jump sometimes when I am writing inside a text box , it is not doing it right now, but it happens randomly too .
    I tried unchecking , "disable touchpad while typing" as it was suggested in similar forums but no help.

P.S : I have toshiba sattelite laptop , intel graphic card.
    Last edited by shevin; October 30th, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
    I am from Kurdistan and I use Kurdish Ubuntu , check out my blog about ubuntu - Shevin

Beans

Re: random log out ubuntu 11.10 (64bit)

no one ?
    I am from Kurdistan and I use Kurdish Ubuntu , check out my blog about ubuntu - Shevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This is just a shot in the dark, but perhaps you're experiencing the same problem as in this thread?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872430

Running
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog
    at a terminal will output the file to your terminal. If it has something like

Code:
    CRON[7832]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    this may very well be your issue.

If not, is there anything you can tell us as far as when this occurs? Very few issues like this are truly random in occurrence.

Also, perhaps next time after this happens you could log back in and run

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
    and paste the output. The output of the first command may be useful, too.

Beans

it appears I have that in my system log ,

Code:
     cat /var/log/syslog | grep "cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)"
    Oct 31 02:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[12196]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 03:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[12648]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 04:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[13554]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 16:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[2686]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 17:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[4077]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 18:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[4955]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 19:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[5556]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 21:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[6849]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Oct 31 22:17:01 medya-Satellite-P745 CRON[7626]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    what do u suggest ? just removing killer in the bin folder?
    isnt that killer there for a security reason or something ?

Beans
    Distro

Oops, my mistake. That line isn't necessarily what you're looking for, the actual line to check for is something like

Code:
    killer[3353]: kill(15, 2053)
    using, perhaps

Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep "killer.*kill"
    "sudo apt-get remove killer" would solve this if it is your problem.

As far as I can tell killer is a sort of housekeeping script to kill processes belonging to users who aren't logged in. My 11.10 install doesn't have this package and runs fine so far.

Beans

it happend just one minute ago , [mine doesnt happen every hour , it happens like twice a day]

here are the sys logs : (it is long ubuntu forums wouldnt let me post it )

http://www.copypastecode.com/93460/

and here is the log for the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

http://www.copypastecode.com/93464/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hailtothethief View Post
    Oops, my mistake. That line isn't necessarily what you're looking for, the actual line to check for is something like

Code:
    killer[3353]: kill(15, 2053)
    using, perhaps

Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep "killer.*kill"
    "sudo apt-get remove killer" would solve this if it is your problem.

As far as I can tell killer is a sort of housekeeping script to kill processes belonging to users who aren't logged in. My 11.10 install doesn't have this package and runs fine so far.
    it has no kill in the log
    Code:
    $ cat /var/log/syslog | grep "killer.*kill"
    $

Beans
    Distro

Well, you're not going to like this:

After reading your Xorg.0.log I can see that X is experiencing a segmentation fault (crash) which is causing you to 'log out' (in reality X is dying in a fiery blaze, and like a pheonix, rising from its ashes over again, bringing you to the login screen)

Your backtrace doesn't provide anything strikingly useful, lacking debug symbols.

There are many bugs on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/ describing the same behavior (sporadic crashes due to a segfault)

I couldn't find any that match your exact setup, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Your best bet is likely to follow the steps at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Backtracing to obtain a useful backtrace and report it to the xorg-xserver launchpad (linked above). Once your bug is triaged the guys there will either point you to a solved bug or use your information to fix this one. They might even have a proper solution for you in the interim.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Read the wiki first!Then use Google, then look for a README file!
    If you feel like this --> chill out and come at the problem another way
    If you haven't read about getting a good answer quickly, you should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

same here but no xorg segfault.
    killer is not installed and no kill in syslog.
    the problem happens twice today and a couple of times in the last week.

ubuntustudio 11.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by breek View Post
    same here but no xorg segfault.
    killer is not installed and no kill in syslog.
    the problem happens twice today and a couple of times in the last week.

ubuntustudio 11.10
    do u also have microsoft wireless mouse & keyboard ? I suspect it could be the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast